Katos in Stock

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes but burnt chestnut handles is in backorder i will get them first in 1 or 2 month :(

210 or 240..

what is best for allpurpose knife ,
and Deba tasks, like filleting salmon and etc. =)

that suggest ?

I will probably use deba for fileting Salmon :)

All Kato is in Stock except 270mm Gyuto

This time with Ho wood handles and Kanjis only on one side :D

I almost pull the trigger, until I find the new "workhorse" Kanjis...hmmmmm...I'm sorry but Its little strange if you can read Kanjis-"馬車馬"! "馬" meaning "horse", "車" means "a carriage/a cart" & another "馬"-horse?? you can also translate as "馬車, 馬"-a horse of horse-drawn carriage or a horse of horse-drawn vehicle?? I don't think its meaning even close to "workhorse" really meaning!! and it does sound odd too! I wonder if you can order one with burnt chestnut handles and no "workhorse" kanji ??

Kind of makes sense to me. It's a "horsecart horse" as opposed to a "circus horse" or a "race horse" or a "thoroughbred horse," etc.

Kind of makes sense to me. It's a "horsecart horse" as opposed to a "circus horse" or a "race horse" or a "thoroughbred horse," etc.

I glade you are OK with "workhorse" Kanjis-"馬車馬". IMO:eyebrow:, it sound more like translating letter by letter used by g00gle translator.... I'm more prefer Japanese Knife Imports' Gesshin Kanjis-"月心" meaning " the heart of moon"; Its meaningful & sound beautifully! :thumbsup:

The Kanji we decided with the blacksmith him self. So it should be good :)
So i will not change that i think it is workhors thats why we name it like that !
It is not Meaningful or Beautiful so it fits it very well :D

On the handles as i said above bernd chestnut is backordered and i will first get it in 1 or 2 month and next Kato Gyutos in 3 -4 month
Kato do not make many kitchen knives so waiting time on them will be approx same as on Shigefusa

I almost pull the trigger, until I find the new "workhorse" Kanjis...hmmmmm...I'm sorry but Its little strange if you can read Kanjis-"馬車馬"! "馬" meaning "horse", "車" means "a carriage/a cart" & another "馬"-horse?? you can also translate as "馬車, 馬"-a horse of horse-drawn carriage or a horse of horse-drawn vehicle?? I don't think its meaning even close to "workhorse" really meaning!! and it does sound odd too! I wonder if you can order one with burnt chestnut handles and no "workhorse" kanji ??

Interesting and, for me, quite funny to find complaints about this! I can completely understand if you can read kanji and don't like the message on a knife that you'll be turned off; same as if it were in English, for example, and you didn't like it. Of course most people would have no clue and if the kanji said 'heart of the moon' or 'fart and moon' :spankarse: they wouldn't know and it wouldn't matter!

To me, though, 'workhorse' sounds fine. There are plenty of names around - Everlast, Duracell, Diesel, Mustang, etc - that make a product sound 'tough' which is what you'd want with a knife. And to my ear 'Heart of the moon' doesn't sound great in English, but names originating from Chinese characters usually don't. Take Korean names for example, where Samsung just means '3 stars' and LG used to be 'Lucky Gold Star' which both sound kind of cheap, I think. 'Heart of the moon' is poetic and nice, but has no connection to knives. It is, however, typically Japanese and I'm sure sounds good in Japanese. Things don't have the same effect when we translate.

The Kanji we decided with the blacksmith him self. So it should be good :)
So i will not change that i think it is workhors thats why we name it like that !
It is not Meaningful or Beautiful so it fits it very well :D

On the handles as i said above bernd chestnut is backordered and i will first get it in 1 or 2 month and next Kato Gyutos in 3 -4 month
Kato do not make many kitchen knives so waiting time on them will be approx same as on Shigefusa

hi Maxim: I just think great knife like this deserve better name than :("horse-cart-horse" or "a horse of horse-drawn vehicle":rofl2:! please ask more people(Japanese & Chinese ) who knows Kanjis for more opinions or just put on blacksmith's name like most Japanese knives do without naming the knife.:my2cents:when you name something "vulture" is cool; however, if you translated into "the bird with bald-headed" is lame!! :razz:

Me, I think I prefer 'bird with bald head'! :mustache2:

Anyway, poor Maxim. Cclin, you're giving him a hard time.

I have 2 theories: First, 馬車馬 may mean 'workhorse' and literally 'horse-cart-horse', but perhaps it's nuanced and better in Japanese and something is missing if you read Chinese, which I'm guessing is your first language. Second, the maker, Kato, agreed to name it this too, so he could also think it's a nice name, but on the other hand might have just been humouring Maxim as Japanese tend to expect weirdness and odd ideas from foreigners anyway and will still go along with things as they try to be polite and think foreign oddness is just normal. If you requested 'bald headed bird' kanji for a knife, I can imagine a Japanese reacting, 'Ah so desu ka? Hai. Daijoubu desu.'

無毛と鳥 - perhaps I will have this kanji on my own line of knives.

hi Maxim: I just think great knife like this deserve better name than :("horse-cart-horse" or "a horse of horse-drawn vehicle":rofl2:!
According to my Japanese friend, you shouldn't read the two characters separately, so performing a literal translation into "horse-cart-horse" is incorrect, and something even you said should be avoided, as it sounds like something you would get from an automatic mechanical translator.

According to my Japanese friend, you shouldn't read the two characters separately, so performing a literal translation into "horse-cart-horse" is incorrect, and something even you said should be avoided, as it sounds like something you would get from an automatic mechanical translator.

Yup, translation software tends to handle some languages better than others, too. And Japanese isn't one of them!

hehe you guys making to big deal out of it if you dont like Kanji dont buy that knife :O
There is many Kanjis that translates weird and even some names. Most importent to me is a knife.

There is not only Kato that excepted the Kanji but also my Japanese friend who i trust a lot.
We make own Kanji to our knives because they are made different then one he makes normal. I also pay extra to make them better.

But its cool that this Kanji became controversial :D It reflect that knife a lot :razz:

'Guy' not 'guys' - only cclin was worried about it. It was a language discussion for me.

You could have "I love Cheese" on the side of this knife and id still buy another in a heartbeat. After a few weeks bonding time i cannot express how good a knife this is! Get those triggers pulled!

These knives sound like a real find. Aren't many around too. Shhhh!! I don't like light, and I think the mass would suit me.

Not that it matters if they perform so well, but which steel is it? I've only seen that it's 'carbon clad'. A review has mentioned it's not very reactive, though.

These knives sound like a real find. Aren't many around too. Shhhh!! I don't like light, and I think the mass would suit me.

Not that it matters if they perform so well, but which steel is it? I've only seen that it's 'carbon clad'. A review has mentioned it's not very reactive, though.

Once you have used it for a week you don't even notice how much it weighs (until you pick up a laser gyuto and it feels like a kids toy :) )

I think the steel is a "secret" but I heard someone say the thought it was similar to white#1?, and the cladding is not very reactive at all, It patinas quite slowly, and even when the patina is removed it will only cause slight discoloration on onions, and no carbon smell.

I can tell you it is a top performing knife IME. I do not feel the weight at all, and I do not like heavy knives. The cutting performance is just super for me.
I also have a 180 petty, it has completely overtaken all cutting task that used to do with a 210 suji/petty before.
Gets nice patina no smell, no food discoloration. The steel is something special, I got the guyto may be 3-4 weeks ago and sharpened it onece and still going strong. I do not strop my knives, and this one beat my Shigefusa easily as far as edge retention goes.

Yeah, I've read some of what you guys have written elsewhere. This one sounds like a freak of nature. :thumbsup:

Me, I think I prefer 'bird with bald head'! :mustache2:

無毛と鳥 - perhaps I will have this kanji on my own line of knives.

very funny!!!!!:rofl2:

@Maxim: if you like "馬車馬" this Kanji , :surrendar:I rest my case! sorry for all the commotion:sorry:

Maxim (or anyone that knows) - do the Katos come with saya?

@Maxim: if you like "馬車馬" this Kanji , :surrendar:I rest my case! sorry for all the commotion:sorry:

Ah, don't worry about it! You're just telling people what you think. Breath of fresh air, I say.

I will get one Yanagi next month but they are in the big price range.
All his single beveled is quite expensive

Latest posts

Back