Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oh no! Not another "Which knife should I buy" thread!

Quote Originally Posted by bishop27 View Post
    Love the finish and the dark handle (seems like i'm partial to darker handles rather than lighter).
    I'm with you on dark handles, but handles can always be changed. Epicurean Edge carries these), and there are a number of talented craftsman on this forum capable of creating anything you can imagine. If you find something you really like from Jon (Japanese Knife Imports) with the exception of the handle, he might be able to order it for you with an ebony handle straight from the maker (more time and more money, but I've done it a number of times). Check out some of the pictures in the "knife and gear galleries" (if you haven't already) and you'll see some amazing handle work. Good luck with your choice!

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    The only one that I can speak to from personal experience is the Kochi and it performs incredibly well. As to the handle I find the color irrelevant but that is personal I guess; as to how it performs there seems to be something special about the grip you get out of burnt chestnut even when your hand is covered in fat and should be in danger of slipping, the grip makes it easy to hold and use the knife. It is super thin behind the edge and sharpens up easily. Patina forms rather quickly and smells are almost non-existent except after a fresh sharpening session. I would feel really good about recommending this knife! I just sold my 240 and have plans of buying a 270 at some point in the near future.
    i think your absolutely right in saying that color is irrelevant in regards to functionality, which is what really matters in the end. it's much more just personal preference and how it looks on the wall of my kitchen. i admire these knives both as an expertly crafted utensil and as a a piece of art. Also, thanks so much for the quick review. This is one that remains high on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    I'm with you on dark handles, but handles can always be changed. Epicurean Edge carries these), and there are a number of talented craftsman on this forum capable of creating anything you can imagine. If you find something you really like from Jon (Japanese Knife Imports) with the exception of the handle, he might be able to order it for you with an ebony handle straight from the maker (more time and more money, but I've done it a number of times). Check out some of the pictures in the "knife and gear galleries" (if you haven't already) and you'll see some amazing handle work. Good luck with your choice!
    Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!