Quantcast
Oh no! Not another "Which knife should I buy" thread!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh no! Not another "Which knife should I buy" thread!

Oh no! Not another "Which knife should I buy" thread!

Hi all,
    i'm admittedly a "knife noob" but decided to post on here after reading how genuinely helpful people are on this forum as opposed to others i've been on (get into photography to see what i mean). I've been a huge fan of knives for some time but only recently have gotten enough into cooking to really be able to appreciate kitchen knives.

After a lot of trial, and mostly error, in the kitchen, i've decided on 2 types that i'd like to get for the kitchen. 1 being an 8-10inch all around chef's knife that is an absolute work horse. Something that is strong, i don't have to worry about cutting on a variety of surfaces and can do anything i ask of it. the other one i'd like to get is a Japanese blade, maybe something a bit smaller (6 inch?) for slicing fish, sushi, sashimi and meats. i've always loved Japanese steel, have admired it ever since i lived there for a year and recognize it not only as a utensil for cutting but also a piece of art.

I've also been slowly learning about sharpening just by reading/watching things online as i would like both of these to be the last knives i NEED to buy for a very long time (note i said "need"... no doubt i'll be wanting to buy many more).

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
    8-10inch chef's
    Smaller Japanese knife for slicing fish, meat, etc.

What grip do you use?
    pinch
    fingerpoint - for more delicate slicing

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
    push-cut, slice

Where do you store them?
    magnet

Have you ever oiled a handle?
    no

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
    wood

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
    honing rod

What is your budget?
    I'd like to stay about $150 for the "work horse" and around $250 or less for the Japanese blade

What do you cook and how often?
    I cook a wide variety of meats, fish, vegetables, etc. Probably mostly red meat and chicken though. Cook about 3-5 times a week.

Welcome to the forum Bishop.

Few more questions that will help the pros here (not me) give you some good advice (other than calling Jon at Japanese Knife Imports, which is always good advice).

What kind of budget do you have in mind?

And are you open to carbon steel?

Do you have a handle preference? (Japanese "wa" style or western.)

Hey welcome! I would say the knife shapes you may want to look at first would be the gyuto for general purpose and the sujihiki for slicing. Typically though slicing knives are longer than 6". Depends on what you are slicing though.

240mm is a good starting point for the gyuto length to tackle most tasks. For the suji I usually recommend 270mm. But if you have your heart set on a smaller length then maybe think about a longer petty, perhaps something in the 210 range. This could be used as a utility blade basically.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Welcome to the forum Bishop.

Few more questions that will help the pros here (not me) give you some good advice (other than calling Jon at Japanese Knife Imports, which is always good advice).

What kind of budget do you have in mind?

And are you open to carbon steel?

Do you have a handle preference? (Japanese "wa" style or western.)
    Thanks!
    I'd like to stay about $150 or less for the "work horse" and around $250 or less for the Japanese blade

I don't really mind either, have used both before and didn't have a preference. i'd say definitely a Japanese handle for the Japanese blade. otherwise no preference.

When you say japanese knife do you mean single bevel or just made in japan?
    Check out the buy/sell/trade section, The Hiromoto AS 240 gyuto and the Zakuri 150mm petty Would be a good place start. And would leave you some change for sharpening gear
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

When you say "Japanese blade" could you be a little more specific? Do you mean something with a wa handle, as in the light ho wood and horn ferrule, or you do mean something single bevelled, as in a yanagiba? I'd go for a 240 gyuto and a 270 sujihiki perhaps unless you're cutting very large things then I'd go 270 and 300 perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    When you say japanese knife do you mean single bevel or just made in japan?
    Check out the buy/sell/trade section, The Hiromoto AS 240 gyuto and the Zakuri 150mm petty Would be a good place start. And would leave you some change for sharpening gear
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    When you say "Japanese blade" could you be a little more specific? Do you mean something with a wa handle, as in the light ho wood and horn ferrule, or you do mean something single bevelled, as in a yanagiba? I'd go for a 240 gyuto and a 270 sujihiki perhaps unless you're cutting very large things then I'd go 270 and 300 perhaps
    Sorry, I meant made in Japan with wa handle.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Hey welcome! I would say the knife shapes you may want to look at first would be the gyuto for general purpose and the sujihiki for slicing. Typically though slicing knives are longer than 6". Depends on what you are slicing though.

240mm is a good starting point for the gyuto length to tackle most tasks. For the suji I usually recommend 270mm. But if you have your heart set on a smaller length then maybe think about a longer petty, perhaps something in the 210 range. This could be used as a utility blade basically.
    Thanks for the input! I think these lengths (240mm and 210mm) are what i'm looking for. Something like a solid gyuto and a smaller utility blade.

Hi Bishop,

I share your noobiness, but having just gone through a shopping experience, maybe I can offer some food for thought. First, why settle for one Japanese knife, when you can have two? Your budget can certainly swing this. The "work horse" sounds like a Gyuto to me. Here are a couple close to your range:

http://www.**************.com/tanakagyuto2.html
    http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=83467
    http://www.**************.com/ko24wa.html

For the small knife, maybe a Deba, or a petty knife? Deba is a pretty specific knife though, and I would either be sure you want it, or not spend too much on it. I'm non-committal myself on this one, and I'm looking at getting this:

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=85690

You might want to provide some specifics about what you're looking for in this knife.

Honestly, I'd drop more cash on the "workhorse" than the accessory, or at least explore the field with this as a possibility. You can get serious beauty AND serious functionality all in one package, and well within your budget.

oh, whoops. well, the third link is a Konosuke HH Gyuto.

+ Reply to Thread