Deba meets the Pompano

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some of you may remember that I purchased a 195 Blue #2 Ichimonji Deba about six months ago. I bought it for a fishing trip that never materialized so the knife had never been used until yesterday. I finally tried it and flayed a 1.5LB Pompano. just wanted to post some pics of the process.

Observations:
I grew up in Plymouth Massachusetts and am part of a family of Portuguese fishermen from the old country. Although i work in a more white collar career, I've filleted hundreds of fish in my 40 years of life and have only used a filet knife. Some good ones rapala and some cheapo's. Being a knifenut I wanted to see what all the hype is over a single bevel Deba knife. We'll let me say that I'm no longer regret buying this thumper. Here are a few pics.

The last shot is of the fillets and the skin. You're looking at the inside of the skin or where it was attached to the flesh. Sorry for the sloppy presentation but I was moving quickly as I didn't want the fish fillets to warm up. How did i do? Any suggestions on how I should prepare it? I've never eaten pompano.

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

fish3.jpg

Personally, I've almost always either grilled or pan sauteed pompano. It usually has some nice oil/fat to it and can get nice and crispy when sauteed (dusted with some flour) or grilled.

Season with salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil then grill those bad boys up. It has a meaty flesh with a high fat content (kind of similar to hamachi) which works really well on the grill.

Just a question and this is not a negative more just an inquiry as I have never prepared Pompano, is it better to leave the skin on, grill and then remove? or is the flesh firm enough to grill directly?

If I were going to grill pompano, I would choose smaller pompano and just head and gut them, then grill them whole, skin on. The skin on smaller pompano can be very thin and it really crisps up nicely. The meat is flaky and tender and can fall apart.

I forgot to add that smaller pompano are also good fried whole. The fin bones are small and delicate, and are super crunchy when fried.

The skin on larger ones can be leathery, you have to remove it. The flesh is indeed meaty enough to hold up just fine on the grill.

The skin on larger ones can be leathery, you have to remove it. The flesh is indeed meaty enough to hold up just fine on the grill.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what the larger ones were like. I've only seen/cut/cooked smaller ones (less than 1 lb) out here on the West Coast.

I usually get 2-4 pounders big enough that one side is usually a portion around 7.5oz.

MB, Raleigh is not particularly known for it's saltwater fishery :) Where'd you pick that up?

I am quite the fishing guy myself, and always appreciate your opinion. Looks like I need to try one of those out. Looks good.

We surfcast for Pompano at our place in Florida. The experts along the beach will tell you they love sand fleas or small bits of shrimp. I catch one occasionally, but seem to be much better at attracting rays and small nurse sharks :(. Suffice to say don't count on me for catching dinner, but when I do get one simply grilled is my favorite way to cook it.

Tom, Got it from The Grand Asian Market in Cary. The eyes were still somewhat glassy and the gills were red and a few other people picked them up. For me the point was just to give the Deba a trial run and it performed admirably.

Good looking filets - I don't think I've ever had Pampano I'll have to try it sometime. Ray
and skate are really good eating.

We surfcast for Pompano at our place in Florida. The experts along the beach will tell you they love sand fleas or small bits of shrimp.

I used to use sand fleas for Pompano in Fl but I spent a lot more time surfcasting for Bluefish.

Good looking filets - I don't think I've ever had Pampano I'll have to try it sometime. Ray
and skate are really good eating.

When long lining for cod in the Prince William Sound in Alaska, we always threw skate out like it was junk fish, I was amazed when I got back to the lower 48 to find it on the menus of fine dining places. Still kinda trips me out...my memories of skate after spending 3-5 days at a time out on 9' swells are the things were our nemesis and looked like aliens from another world. Pampano is delicious, I used to get it at the Uwajimaya Japanese store in downtown Seattle and grill it with green onions and soy sauce/ mirin/ salt/ pepper.

Back