Ham knife I believe...Sab experts?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found a couple of these laying around in storage. They would be from the 70's or 60's. Extremely thin edge, and very flexy. Odd construction for a Sab without the bolster, although I think that might be a good thing. Seems like cheapish construction. Has Inox stamped into the handle. I haven't tried sharpening it yet, though these old knives are actually pretty sharp. I think this shape was referred to as a ham knife.

IMG_3722.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

Spine:

IMG_3724.JPG

Blade....sorry for the poor photography.

IMG_3725.JPG

Last edited:
Nice piece Neal. Have you carved up any ham yet?

I grew up with one, and my parents always called it a bread knife. I think it is a ham knife.
2011-12-20%25252020.59.09.jpg

It was always the sharpest knife in the house, just because it was so thin. I cut myself a few times on it as a kid.

Found what I think is a boning knife as well...same no bolster construction.

LOL Knyfe....I suppose making a ham will be a mandatory 'research' project in the near future :D.

Neal, Let me know if you have any questions. I've made Canadian bacon and cured traditional boiled ham so far. Can be tough to find a good ham press so I made my own. I also, sous vide the cured pork leg so it didn't loose much weight. can out quite memorable too

Yup, a ham knife, indeed. Although, in Europe, you sometimes see them used as salmon knives.

Ham knife by Thiers-Issard, some flex, expect the steel to be relatively soft to our standards. You often see them with cracks in the POM handle due to diswasher abuse. Some have bolster and finger guard, others don't. No reason for a finger guard as there is no board contact.

At first glance I was so convinced that this was a pastry knife, because I have a pastry knife with a blade on it at home and it look exactly like that.

I don't mean to ask such a newby question but, could someone explain to me what makes it a ham knife? ... I had no idea ham knives even existed! I still have so much to learn.

It's a ham knife. The Glestain Salmon slicer is the modern version of it. It's called a ham knife because it is round on the end. When working at a buffet station slicing ham you can use the knife to put the slice of ham on the customer's plate with no danger of accidentally stabbing the customer.

-AJ

I believe that this has been called a ham slicer by many manufacturers but this is technically a beef/meat slicer (that is also used for ham) whereas a true ham slicer has a pointed tip that looks like it's broken but isn't. The rounded tip was introduced for serving lines where the need for a pointless knife shaped object was necessary for safer plating.

It's a ham knife. The Glestain Salmon slicer is the modern version of it. It's called a ham knife because it is round on the end. When working at a buffet station slicing ham you can use the knife to put the slice of ham on the customer's plate with no danger of accidentally stabbing the customer.

-AJ

Ooo... hmmm. I'm going to start looking at the salmon slicer completely differently now.

Thanks for the explination!

I believe that this has been called a ham slicer by many manufacturers but this is technically a beef/meat slicer (that is also used for ham) whereas a true ham slicer has a pointed tip that looks like it's broken but isn't. The rounded tip was introduced for serving lines where the need for a pointless knife shaped object was necessary for safer plating.

I'm going to have to google image this...

Thanks for the explanation!

Ohhhhh...

Ham slicer(?)

6D470C70-28BB-4B97-9672-42A5982C4379-178-0000001239BA43C0_zps2211de9c.jpg

:D

LOLOL Clearly, yes.

No joke though, that thing is sharp. I was an idiot and let my guard down holding it, then cut myself with it. I felt silly for the rest of the day.

True! The Misono kids' knife is actually a very cool, very useable little knife! I know someone in the industry who has a thing for them. Haha. The worst part is...I completely get it! They're very cool!

Back