Recommend me a knife(knives) please!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petr9999

Reaction score
What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
I am looking for a working knife whit a very thin edge, so that it takes a screeming edge for push cutting, i am fairly interested in carbon knives
not really sure which type, probably a gyuto

i dont mind sharpening often with the edgepro, once i get it.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?

I currently have:
Shun kaji santoku
Shun elite slicer
*Henckles five star 3 knife set (chefs, petty, parring)

I really enjoy the shuns, and i wanted to buy the shun fuji set before looking on this forum.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics-9
Edge Quality/Retention-8
Ease of Use-8
Comfort-8
price-4

I actually really like my shuns, and i dont think they are inferior to their japanese counterparts,
but since they were so expensive, i am kind of scared to use them/sharpen them to not damage them.

What grip do you use?
Pinch, depends on the task though

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
mostly push cutting, some slicing (again depending on the task)

Where do you store them?
magnetic knife rack, and a cork drawer

Have you ever oiled a handle?
no, but no problem with it

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
bamboo, plastic

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
currently- ceramic hone, 300, 1000,3000, 8000 whetstones, and a leather strop, a Chefs choice trizor XV on cheaper knifes
ordered- edgepro apex 4+ 6k polishing tapes

Have they ever been sharpened?
Yes^^

What is your budget?
Quite open, but must be cheaper than the shuns it will be substituting so <$200 per knife

What do you cook and how often?
Everything, for my self and my gf, almost daily

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
I live in CZ, so worldwide shipping, or local pickup(myabi, kasumi, shun) is a must
This is the important part
handle- something unique, not the ussual light wood with a black plastick, or dark plastic with 3 bolts. I do like the handles on shuns, kasumis, hencles five star, or myabi series(not the western ones)

Blade- again, not just a plain blade, doesnt really matter if its hammered, damascus, ect....

I think you are in luck. Shun is actually way overpriced for what you are getting. So you shouldn't have any problems getting a superior knife for less than what the shun cost.

I would actually advise you skip the edge pro however. While you may be able to get a precise edge at first, there are so many variables to sharpening that freehand is way more versatile. As the stone wears it changes the angle, you cant do thinning with it, and don't even think about single beveled knives with the EP. Plus, with freehand you are learning a valuable skill. There is something to be said for working with your hands and accomplishing a goal. Sharpening by hand is a very satisfying feeling.

Thanks for your response! i am in the process of learning to freehand, but in the meantime, i want to have a precise, and even bevel on my expensive knives, thus the edgepro.

So any recommendations on the knives?

what is the best high carbon steel?

from looking around here are some that i like
chefknivesto go.com/moao2gy24.html
chefknivesto go.com/toshitk24wa.html (dont like handle)
chefknivesto go.com/riulst25gy.html (blade too bland)

can u recommend any other along these lines, maybe a different store?

2 of the 3 you posted are carbon steel knives and will rust if left wet. The moritaka may have an overgrind, which can cause HUGE problems after a few sharpenings; I've read that the tojiro is a tad bit on the thick side and fit and finish leaves a lot left to be desired. Out of the 3, I think the ultimatum may be the best choice.

If I were you, I would check out JCK. Shipping is a flat $7 and Koki has some very good knives (carbonext, hiro AS, masamoto ks, etc).

Also, check out Japanese Knife Imports. Though Jon and Sarah are leaving on a trip to Japan, so it may take a while before they can ship out the knife if you find anything you like. If you're lucky, you can call him, and he'll be able to help you out as well.

Back