SCARY Kickback!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
Yesterday while ripping some 4/4 walnut stock, I experienced the scariest kickback I have ever had on a table saw. The wood kicked back and took the blade guard with it. Yes the blade guard came completely loose and ended up on the floor with the walnut stock. After I calmed down, I examined the guard. There were tooth marks on one side of the splitter, on the inside of the side supports and even one of the pawls had been hit. The blade fared even worse. Of the 20 carbide teeth, 2 were missing completely and 9 more were damaged. SO much for a $100 blade.

As for me, I have a small cut on my right palm just between the index and the next finger. Lucky I guess!

I called the manufacturer afterwards and the rep at Grizzly didn't seem to concerned. So this morning I made a closer inspection of the saw and found the splitter is bent and the dust chute under the blade was cracked. I called Grizzly and asked for replacement parts which they agreed to. When I asked for a replacement blade due to their faulty attachment of the guard I was told the request would have to go to someone higher up for approval.

I also contacted the CPSC about the attachment process of the guard. All that holds it is a friction lever that is obviously inadequate for the job. It should have held! We will see where this goes.

Glad to hear you escaped with only minor injuries!

Scary glad you are O.K. And not injured worse than you were. Hope the palm cut heals quickly.

Yikes! Good to hear you got out of it relatively unscathed. Bad to hear about your customer service experience...

Woh whats going on here, I just got through reading about Randy HHH's injuries and Bill B's impending wild fire, and now this. David that's flat out scary stuff. I bet you'll be weary of that machine for some time to come. Glad that you didn't get speared or anything like that though.

glad u didnt get shot by one of those teeth. i also work with big table saw's but for aluminium and a co worker was cutting a solid 80mm block of aluminium about 3 weeks ago, and i was standing about 10 meters away milling and a tooth from the blade came of and passed my head with an inch and right thruw the wall next to me. so i was glad the wall took the hit that time and not me :p. thay come off the blade like bullets witch is pretty scary.

Kick backs are one of the most adrenaline producing things I can imagine! It is especially scary when all of the safety gear is in place. Congratulations on not getting badly hurt!

:shocked: I guess I shouldn't walk into a shop for a while. I have a problem with murphys law happening when I am around.

Glad you got away from this one. I never liked table saws since I saw a friend's Grandpa cut off his finger tips when I was a kid. Of course, the guy was in the mid 80s, had been through 2 wars amd a rough life, he wrapped a dirty towel around his fingers and continued cutting wood until someone dragged him a way to go to a hospital...

Stefan

Dave, Im happy to hear your basically ok, This could of ended badly! I hope you can work it out with Griz. There customer service has been very good when I have had any issues in the past.

Be careful. and wear your safety glasses. :D

God Bless
Randy

Wow, glad you're ok. You've just given me pause to be even more careful around my tablesaw!
M.

My table saw trip:

0308012029.jpg

Luck my $^^, thaty was a gift. Where and to whom you direct your gratitude is your own choice, but for the rest of your life every minute you ues that hand is bonus time and should be treated as such.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Hi David,

Glad to hear you escaped with only a minor injury, it certainly could have been a lot worse!! Hope you get your machine back up and running real soon.

Cheers my friend!!
:cool2:

Back