Quantcast
Recommendations for the Twin Cities? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for the Twin Cities?

Been 12 years since I lived there.

Back then Aquavit had a place downtown, and my college roommate knew one of the bartenders...so if we tipped well, we ate for free.

One night the FoH and GM came out to say hello, which we took as a sign that we just got this poor girl fired and better make a run for it.

They took up seats on either side of us and proceeded to point out that it is always nice to have a younger crowd at a high priced restaurant, and so long as we can both pull of wearing ties it lended a bit of hipster cred. They bought us a round of drinks....didn't know we'd never paid before.... and let us enjoy our meal.

Of course now Marcus Samuelsson has long slid away from his strict nordic style, and the MN location is long closed. My advice however is always the same...go where you know someone....I wouldn't scam a meal at my age, but remembering it is like a placebo, even if I don't get special treatment where friends tend bar or work line.... thinking makes it so.

It was a good weekend, but all the family activities planned for us didn't allow any time to get out and spend any time on our own. We thought we might get at least an evening free, but it didn't work out. We had a nice time to be sure. It was great to actually feel some autumn weather and see some colors on the trees. We're considering a solo trip where we can enjoy some time in the cities. So, thanks for all the advice. I hope to get a chance to use it sometime soon.

I'm going to resurrect this thread. Minneapolis is really booming with restaurants it seems. I just ate at Borough tonight (been opened around 7 weeks).It was the last date night before the next bunchkin (i.e., kid) comes along. It really was quite tasty. The restaurant is right across the street from Bar La Grassa and has a similar feel. The food is in between the finesse of Piccolo/Travail and small dish sort of bistro fare like Bar La Grassa.

And I am also going to throw in a big shout out to Chuckles' place, Pat's Tap. I have only eaten there once, but I crave that hamburger most days of my life. That's a good thing. Chuckles has this super special cheese thing that makes a burger better than anything.

Heldentenor needs to start hitting the rounds

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I just went to Saffron and 112 Eatery, both with superb results. If you really want some good pairings and good food, Alma on University Ave. is the way to go.

Bar la Grassa is very good as well, so is Tilia and The Bachelor Farmer... Yes, I agree with you, the Twin Cities is really coming up in the world when it comes to top notch cuisine!

St Paul has a couple of jewels as well, like Meritage...

It just gets a tad Chilly every now and then!

Thanks for bumping this, Karring, and for waiting until after Valentine's Day to do it so that I didn't go bankrupt.

The only places I would add that Customfan and Karring didn't mention are The Happy Gnome in St. Paul and Cafe Maude over by me in Loring Park. If you go to the Gnome, go on off-peak hours, as it draws a crowd--but the food is delicious and quite affordable. Maude is traditional French with the occasional innovative twist.

As for Pat's Tap, Charlie, I'm coming your way next week!

I think visiting chuckles at Pat's Tap is a good idea!

Thanks for the recommendations Heldenator... St. Paul has some good places.

Just read an article with the coolest pizza and there are some good joints!

Lola Pizzeria
    Black sheep (Very good stuff and on the same sidewalk as Bar La grasssa)
    Mozza Mia (They have a take on deep dish Chicago style that is quite good)
    Pizza Nea

Oh.. And has anyone gone to Bewitched? Their in house made pastrami is a life changing experience.

And don't get me started on coffee shops!

Rustica (Their bread rocks!)
    Spyhouse cafe
    Bullrun Cofee
    Dogwood Coffee

Im hungry!

You guys have to check out Burch. It is opening on Tues and is Isaac Becker's (112, Bar La Grassa) new spot. Same developer that did Bar La Grassa and Butcher and the Boar. My spies have been giving great reports.

Social House is home to Sushi by Terry.
    http://www.socialhousempls.com/
    http://instagram.com/sushibyterry
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    You guys have to check out Burch. It is opening on Tues and is Isaac Becker's (112, Bar La Grassa) new spot. Same developer that did Bar La Grassa and Butcher and the Boar. My spies have been giving great reports.
    Very interesting tip, thanks. And I needs me some good sushi, I really don't know where to get it in the the twin cities. I usually go out of state for that.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Damn, and Burch is only ten minutes' walk from my house.