Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Damascus Chef/Prep knife pics.

Custom Damascus Chef/Prep knife pics.

Not sure if this is the right place to post these, but I wanted to show you guys this knife we made and get some feed back on the design, handle shape, etc.etc. Im thick skinned so dont be afraid to call it like you see it.. It wont hurt my feeling!

SPECS: Chef/Prep knife
    Blade Damascus, forged by HHH Knives, Tsunami Pattern.
    OAL 11" Blade 6" Thickness at the spine. .118 Flat ground.
    Handle, Arizona desert ironwood burl. stainless fasteners.

Mods, If this post is in the wrong place please move and advise me of where to post any future pics..

Thanks

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

looks good , I personally like gyuto profile for chef knives

That looks really, really nice. The handle is beautiful. The blade profile is a bit of an issue though, as it has a big belly (see mainaman's post above).

Thanks guys for the feedback, I can already tell Im gona learn alot hanging around here. Ill take all the advice and critiques.. Thanks for your honesty!
    . Anything I can learn that will help make my knives better!!! Iron sharpening Iron!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Blade pattern looks really nice. The knife profile looks more like an outdoor knife. I picture being on a mountain campsite sawing into wild game with knife in one hand and chomping on a deer leg on the other hand. you would be the envy of the other campers though.

you definitely have the skills, if you are planning on kitchen cutlery though I would follow the more traditional profiles, then put me down for 1

Very nice damascus and handle work. I'm learning a lot from these guys too. The one "mistake" (I use that word lightly) is that a lot of new kitchen knife makers tend to make the curve of where the blade meets the handle too big. In other-words, I'd suggest making the radius smaller where the index finger rests under the blade. (What is that called - riccasso, choil, unsharpened part of the heel?) However, since a lot of real users of kitchen knives use a "pinch" grip, this might actually be more comfortable. Worth researching for your next one.

Good job.
    -M

Quote Originally Posted by goodchef1 View Post
    The knife profile looks more like an outdoor knife. I picture being on a mountain campsite sawing into wild game with knife in one hand and chomping on a deer leg on the other hand. you would be the envy of the other campers though.
    Thats a great visual! lol I like it!

Availible Knives

Michael, Thank you for your input and suggestions. I have been reading alot on here, trying to pin it down.. again Thanks.

Availible Knives

Wow Randy, that sure is a looker!

While far from an expert, I think one reason it looks like a feild knife is that the tang looks heavy duty. Who knows if it is, I am just comments of course from the "looks" alone. The other thought I have is that it looks balanced to the handle side rather than the blade, which is a deal breaker for me.
    I look forward to seeing your work!

Aesthetically, and functionally, I think stretching out the front of the blade another 4" might be worth thinking about. Less curve in the tip -- more grace -- know what I mean? Otherwise, beautiful knife!
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC