Quantcast
Custom Damascus Chef/Prep knife pics. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Damascus Chef/Prep knife pics.

Jim, Im not a expert either and hope to learn more to aid in making these knives, and making them better. So thank you for your input.. The tang thickness is .118 inches. tapering to the tip. I am quickly learning that most measurements are in MM on kitchen knives.. So after looking at a conversion chart it is 2.99mm. So I dont know for sure if that would be overly thick for this knife style? Please advise what spine thickness is acceptable?
    One thing I do try and incorporate into my knives is that heavy duty look and feel. as well as preforming as such. You know, the ones your not afraid to use.

Again Thanks for the input..
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

tgraypots, I totally understand what your saying.. And agree. One thing I want to add about this knife is, the steel didnt start out as a kitchen knife. Originally it was forged to be another knife.. but after forging and surface grinding it ended up being to thin to work for the other knife. So I was limited by the size of the piece of damascus. and would of liked to make this blade a few inches longer.. Im not trying to make excuses for the size or length, it is what it is.. Sort of took lemons and made lemon aid!

Next time I do one of these, I will plan on forging a longer billet of damascus from the start.

Thanks for your input. Im learning alot from this forum about what makes a awesome knife compared to just a good one.
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Keep in mind also that this is just accepted knowledge from this community. There are MANY out there who prefer kitchen cutlery to have lots of belly, or a heavy drop toward the tip, and a handle-heavy design. In fact, I know a guy I work with who, when I grilled him about what he wants out of a knife, pretty much described this exact design.

Best and worst thing about kitchen knives--everyone likes totally different things.

I guess I see where your coming from John.. Its kinda like making a one size fits all blue jeans.. its impossible! Im grateful for all the feedback..
    Heres a couple pics of the latest chef knife. its 1095 and sycamore lace with stainless hardware.

Randy

That looks really nice Randy!

I like it Randy! Looks elegant. I noticed you are from MI, A few people from MI are on here

Very nice! Does this one have a flat taper?

That's a great looking knife. My only criticism would be the angle of the handle. There is one element many knife makers don't take into account when designing a kitchen knife, the cutting board. Since you are cutting down on a flat surface you have to have knuckle clearance and leverage. Your handle points down too much for my tastes. It should point up a little.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Thanks for the feedback guys! This is a Blast! Iv been busy as ever lately, But I did have a chance to work on a few kitchen knives along the way. Heres a couple of pics of them..

John, Its a flat taper with slight convex at the edge.

Heres one that were almost done with.. Its our HHH Damascus and should be done soon. I have a VERY patient customer whose been waiting on this bad boy..

This one is similar to the last one, I made a few changes to the overall design.. But the specs are almost identical.

As always comment and critiques are welcomed!
    Randy

Great damascus.

+ Reply to Thread