• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Anyone know where I can purchase a DT ITK?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
Looking for a Devin Thomas ITK 240mm Gyuto. Thanks

A couple websites have them occassionally, but keep an eye on the BST. Supposedly since he increased the price they are suppose to be more available new, but I am sure they still sell out fast.

The ITK line is a collaboration between Devin and the retailer who is the only distributor. According to the distributor, no more ITK's will be available for the rest of 2012.

Devin has sold a few AEB-L gyutos through The Epicurean Edge. They are, to my eye, the same knife.

Fire off a PM to Devin and ask if he would make one for you.

Did you start a new thread instead of responding to last?

I think the new ones are a bit over $500 for the 240s, maybe mid $500s. Apparently he upped the fit and finish with the price increase. You might be able to find a nice seller to get one in the 300s in BST. There have been some never/lightly used ones recently.

BTW, love my 240 ITK.

Ooops, sorry about that...I see where you asked for a 240 originally...

If anyone is trying to sell a brand new DT ITK 240mm please contact me.

Every once in a while they pop up in the b/s/t area here. Also, Hoss might be amendable to making a similar one for you, you could always drop him a line and find out.

The DT ITK series was a originally a pretty striking bargain: a chance to get a knife from a well-regarded (pretty legendary) custom maker at Shun pricing. However, it soon became clear that DT couldn't put the time required to maintain his standards of F&F into the blades and still sell them wholesale to the vendor and still make enough money that they where worth his time.

I got a chance to play with one once and it was a very good knife, but there was a slight over-grind in a section of the edge. I personally still own a DT ITK cleaver and it's a great blade.

However, the price increase and rarity of these means that they have been moved up the food-chain in terms of their competition. For $400-$500 there are a lot of options out there. If you really must have stainless, our own RRLOVER or Mario is currently making some really stunning knives in 154CM (which is still a very good steel). Marko is making some equally well received blades with inhuman f&f in aeb-l and 5200 (the same stainless and carbon steels used in the itk series), and there are many other makers on this forum alone (Pierre Rodrigue, Dave Martel, Will Catchside) making really outstanding custom knifes at close to the same prices as a good, used DT ITK.

I would say your best option is to really evaluate exactly what it is you're looking for and then look at all your options. The DT ITK series are good knives, but they aren't any more magical that the other options that are more available.

The DT ITK series was a originally a pretty striking bargain: a chance to get a knife from a well-regarded (pretty legendary) custom maker at Shun pricing. However, it soon became clear that DT couldn't put the time required to maintain his standards of F&F into the blades and still sell them wholesale to the vendor and still make enough money that they where worth his time.

I got a chance to play with one once and it was a very good knife, but there was a slight over-grind in a section of the edge. I personally still own a DT ITK cleaver and it's a great blade.

However, the price increase and rarity of these means that they have been moved up the food-chain in terms of their competition. For $400-$500 there are a lot of options out there. If you really must have stainless, our own RRLOVER or Mario is currently making some really stunning knives in 154CM (which is still a very good steel). Marko is making some equally well received blades with inhuman f&f in aeb-l and 5200 (the same stainless and carbon steels used in the itk series), and there are many other makers on this forum alone (Pierre Rodrigue, Dave Martel, Will Catchside) making really outstanding custom knifes at close to the same prices as a good, used DT ITK.

I would say your best option is to really evaluate exactly what it is you're looking for and then look at all your options. The DT ITK series are good knives, but they aren't any more magical that the other options that are more available.

+1:goodpost:

As has been stated above - DT occasionally make their way to these BST forums. I recently purchased one this way:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/8100-Devin-Thomas-Gyutos-For-Sale

I've also purchased DT from Epicurean Edge. That site has a feature where if there is not something listed from a custom maker, you can follow a link to see what they have sold in the past. I bought a DT powdered steel gyuto from them, and it is hands down one of my favorite knives.

If you get your heart set right, PM me. I have one that includes a Burke Cutlery saya.

DT is one of the few that I continuously buy from. Spot on honest guy, great grinds/profiles/weight dist, I love my current three, soon to be five. IMO, you can't go wrong.

Back