Hello from Utah

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallawally

Reaction score
Hello all.

I work in a high volume kitchen as a sous chef. Currently my knives in use are Miyabi Kaizen gyuto, Global cromova GF-36, Henckels twin four star 2 paring, Shun wasabi bread and I cant remember the slicer. Have been doing some research in to what would be best for me and would like some other peoples input. I will be swapping my slicer for a wa-sujihiki, adding a 150/180 wa-petty, replacing my bread knife and later on adding a 240 gyuto. I want to stick with semi or stainless, wa handles if possible but I would prefer with out plastic or buffalo horn ferrule, staying under 300 for the suji and 200 for the petty. I am currently looking at Tojiro bread knife and don't have anything for the suji/petty yet. Thanks for any help and hello to all!

Welcome. Toji bread knife is hard to beat, unless you go to a Gude. It's marginally over your budget, but the Gengetsu wa petty is fantastic. I think Zweifel (sp?) on these forums has done a full review. Many choices for a suji...I'm fond of some high end knives over your budget, but honestly, they are not much better than the Hattori forum suji at JCK, which should be under $250. It's true folks here aren't in love with the steel, but it's the kind of knife you don't have to baby and can touch up for service every day.

Welcome. Toji bread knife is hard to beat, unless you go to a Gude. It's marginally over your budget, but the Gengetsu wa petty is fantastic. I think Zweifel (sp?) on these forums has done a full review. Many choices for a suji...I'm fond of some high end knives over your budget, but honestly, they are not much better than the Hattori forum suji at JCK, which should be under $250. It's true folks here aren't in love with the steel, but it's the kind of knife you don't have to baby and can touch up for service every day.

Thanks Namaxy. Does the handle on the Gengetsu feel comfortable? I have never held a handle that had burnt wood.

Back