Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husk, Charleston, SC

Original Knerd of Knives

Husk, Charleston, SC

Did a gig in Charleston tonight. Was lucky enough to score a late table at Husk. Husk got best restaurant in America by Bon Apetit last year.
    Very disappointed. Granted, I'm a bad audience, but way below my expectations. Maybe I built it up to be so much more in my head......but Johnnychance's place was a million times better. And I'm not just saying that to be nice.
    "When you're driving behind a Prius, there's 100% chance that nothing exciting will happen" -Karring M.

What did you not like and what did you like? Everything from flavors, to plating, to service?

I am flattered but this is actually interesting because I have been reading about Sean Brock lately. Funny how things connect like that sometimes.

And like Travis said, tell us more about your experience there! Even if disappointing.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Original Knerd of Knives
    The atmosphere /ambiance is decent. Our server was great and lovely. I think I was most disappointed by the menu.
    Sean Brock has elevated my perception and understanding of southern food by focusing on true heirloom ingredients sourced and cultivated in the south. This takes southern cuisine to a higher level because it's not just chef whoever's version of shrimp and grits or fried chicken. It's a greater understanding of how nature + culture= any region's cuisine.
    I guess I expected to see more of this reflected in the menu. Lots of pork but not much veg. There was a big chalk board listing all the ingredients and which farms /sources they came from, but hardly anything listed was even on the menu. No scallops, no foie gras,etc.
    I had buffalo pig ear lettuce wraps with pickled cucumbers -not bad.
    I also had the ham sampler with 7 different southern hams from KY, VA, and NC. -not bad.
    My boss had some black grouper that was way overcooked.
    My other boss had a bibb salad and some smoked clams that were decent too.
    I was expecting to be blown away and taste some hidden flavors of the south that have so fat eluded me. I think next time we do a Charleston gig we are going to check out Fig. I've heard a lot of good things about them.
    "When you're driving behind a Prius, there's 100% chance that nothing exciting will happen" -Karring M.

A co-worker is heading to Charleston today for a short vacation. Husk is one of two places he is supposed to go to. Anyone been there more recently?

Also, he and his friends will have a couple other nights they will be dining out, so any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,

Only excuse I could think of for the lack of good produce (the problem with this type of restaurant imo) which is availability of finding a nice variety of local veggies in winter. Should be much better most of the year I would expect?

That said, absolutely no excuse for overcooking the grouper
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Edmund's Oast is my favorite place in Charleston.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    A co-worker is heading to Charleston today for a short vacation. Husk is one of two places he is supposed to go to. Anyone been there more recently?

Also, he and his friends will have a couple other nights they will be dining out, so any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,
    I've spent a bit if time in Charleston and my favorite restaurant by far is FIG. Great service, awesome food. Sometimes I go there and just eat vegetables....If you can get reservations you won't be disappointed. They have a terrific selection of Negroni's at the bar too!

I hit up the Husk in Nashville shortly after they opened and while I enjoyed the experience overall, I did not understand the nationwide praise. Food was solid, ambience and service were great as well, but again not to the point where it stands above the rest. There are plenty of restaurant here in Chicago that are delivering the same level of food and service, with better cocktail / beer programs, but maybe I'm biased.

My points of reference here in Chicago: Publican, The Bristol, Parachute and Yusho just to name a few.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I appreciate the info. I forwarded him recommendations for Edmund's Oast and Fig last night.