Quantcast
High HRC Heat Treat for AEB-L? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High HRC Heat Treat for AEB-L?

These respond to different posts - sorry for any confusion...

I wrote to Devin yesterday - he doesn't share his proprietary heat treat regime, understandably. That's why I am asking here.

Devin Thomas is a pretty credible guy - I can't imagine him lying about the hardness figures he is reaching. If you are not familiar with Devin, do some reading. For his mid-tech AEB-L knife he was originally going to farm out the heat treat but ended up not finding anyone capable enough for his standards, so he still does all his own heat treating.

I have an AEB-L (probably Sandvik 13C26, actually) that was heat treated at Peter's. I want a harder knife - it is a preference after using some very hard Japanese knives. I trust Devin's numbers are true, I am trying to find out how to get there. Does anyone know how?

I'd forgotten that Devin had advertised those numbers and the conversation I had with Brad at Peters was fresh in my mind. If Devin says he's hitting 62-62.5, I'll believe him. Sorry if I offended anyone. I have a lot of respect for people who do the research and development that he's obviously done.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    The difference between 60 and 61 is pretty minor. The difference between 61 and 63 is not.

I would just consider a different steel. Not all steels do well at that hardness. It will get brittle.
    I just found this quote from Larrin Thomas, Devin's son...

"(13c26) doesn't have a lot of carbon, but most of it goes into solution. I go for 63 Rc on my kitchen knives, and I would recommend to anyone to go for at least 62 Rc, and if you can get it harder than I can I would do it, because at 63 Rc it doesn't show any brittleness. "

Never heard that before. Maybe try it.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Never heard that before. Maybe try it.
    I would like to try it - that's why I started the thread. I was hoping that someone might have insight into the heat treating algorithm to get the steel super hard.

This steel is designed to be higher than 60 hrc. With correct heat treatment its not in the slightest bit brittle at 62 hrc, infact on a razor thin edge it will still roll a little when pushed to destruction rather than chip. This is due to the uber fine grain structure and a characteristic of the steel. It can be made made brittle or loose toughness by over soaking or under soaking at critical, its all in the standard data sheets. You will only reach 60 hrc without cryo, it hits 62/63 hrc with cryo. I cant see the point in using it less than 60 hrc personally, less than that you may as well use 12c which is a fine steel in its own right, gets a bit less hard but has more corrosion resistance than aeb-l.

It is pretty simple, all you have to do is spend about 30 years experimenting with the metal and Bingo! you know how to do it! If it was easy to get the results that Devin gets then everyone would be doing it.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    It is pretty simple, all you have to do is spend about 30 years experimenting with the metal and Bingo! you know how to do it! If it was easy to get the results that Devin gets then everyone would be doing it.
    I suppose a version of this could be the answer to every question where someone is asking for help. Seems a bit odd.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Wow, no love for someone trying to do something even slightly different. Who knows, in a year or two we might all be saying anything under ~61HRc for AEB-L is terrible.

HomeChef, AKS has these instructions for getting ~62 (maybe a wee bit higher?) from AEB-L: http://www.alphaknifesupply.com/zdat...teelS-AEBL.htm

It looks like you're going to have to cryo.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Wow, no love for someone trying to do something even slightly different. Who knows, in a year or two we might all be saying anything under ~61HRc for AEB-L is terrible.

HomeChef, AKS has these instructions for getting ~62 (maybe a wee bit higher?) from AEB-L: http://www.alphaknifesupply.com/zdat...teelS-AEBL.htm

You're going to have to cryo. That's all I know for sure.
    Thanks so much, Andrew. Time to look for a dewar!

John