• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Ho-wood/Buffalo handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heirkb

Reaction score
I'm sure that some of you have had your knives rehandled or have rehandled them yourselves and have an extra handle lying around. I have a Marko knife that needs a handle and will likely have a few more, so I'm putting this out here to see if anyone has some extra ho-wood handles from when they got their knives rehandled. I just prefer the aesthetic of the plain ho wood/buffalo horn. I need handles for a 240-270 gyuto, 180 petty, and 210 gyuto. If anyone has any of those (especially the big gyuto handle), please contact me. I'd be happy to pay for the handle. Please help the Marko knives get some shoes so that I can put them to use.

I have the crap one Carter puts on his SFGZ line. It came off a funayuki that is about 170ish. It might work....

LOL thanks Lefty. I might take you up on that if nothing else turns up. Nobody has extra D handles laying around here?

I usually destroy them getting them off. I found it too much effort to try to keep them intact. Next one I get I will see if I can salvage it, but it may be a bit. I thought Jon mentioned he was going to have them, but I am not sure of the conditions of getting them, possibly has to be his knives.

Epicurean Edge sells some. Weirdly they don't have a ho wood / buffalo horn in the 240mm size.

Jon does have handles, but I'm actually looking first for D-Handles and I'm too impatient to wait a month. Also, I figure it'll be cheaper (except for the fact that I'll probably mess up and still end up paying Jon to fix it, as always lol).

Have also been considering contacting EE, but we'll see. I think that a 210 Usuba handle is right for a 270ish gyuto IIRC, but they don't even have that.

I think I kept the D handle from my Masamoto KS 240mm, which is (was) Ho with blonde (white) horn.

I'll take a look (may not be home until tomorrow morning). It's yours if I still have it.

I think I kept the D handle from my Masamoto KS 240mm, which is (was) Ho with blonde (white) horn.

I'll take a look (may not be home until tomorrow morning). It's yours if I still have it.

Thank you! :doublethumbsup:

Fingers crossed

I have a handle from a shig nakiri that Mike Henry re-handled. If you're interested I'll take measurements and you can have it for postage.

I have a handle from a shig 240 (best ho handle I think made). It is pretty large, so it would fit a 270 better than a 240. It was from a new unused shig that M had put a custom handle on.

I'm sure that some of you have had your knives rehandled ... I just prefer the aesthetic of the plain ho wood/buffalo horn

A rare man of taste! Yes, simple, elegant ho is much maligned. :2thumbsup:

Simple ho. No Gangnam style here.

I'm with you on that one too, despite the signature. A Gangnam Style customised octagonal wa-handle would probably be something along the lines of: stabilized spalted hackberry wood with ebony spacer, dyed mammoth tooth end cap, and copper mosaic pins highlighted with rhinestones*

*credit to another member for part of this; won't say who to keep him out of trouble)

psys-gangnam-style.jpeg

I'm going to bump this thread one more time since the handle that I had hoped would work won't work for several reasons.

Looking especially for a 240-270mm gyuto ho wood/buffalo horn handle. NOT a Shigefusa handle for the gyuto this time, because Shig gyutos apparently have very wide tangs (almost 2.5 times as wide as my Marko).

Latest posts

Back