Quantcast
Which one should I buy? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which one should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    There are so many different things to look for it's hard to say. I think your best option when starting out is to go for a knife that people tend to like and is inexpensive. The CarboNext is one: http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYA...extSeries.html
    Japanese knife imports (http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/) also offers some nice starting knives (Gesshin Uraku, Gesshin Kagero and Suisin Inox Western). However, JKI won't be shipping again for around a month, the proprietors are in Japan for the month.
    i dont like circle handles... like Gesshin.. i dont know.. may be because i am begginer!!
    santoku is perfect for me... i try santoku and i think it is better for me!!
    do you know other sites to order knives?

No other website offers so good a deal on postage as JCK does.

I dont like Hiromoto, I had one and it is very low. What do you like about it? That you have chosen that ?

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by gozzila100 View Post
    i dont like circle handles... like Gesshin.. i dont know.. may be because i am begginer!!
    santoku is perfect for me... i try santoku and i think it is better for me!!
    do you know other sites to order knives?
    That's fine, some people just don't like them. Gesshin Kagero and Suisin Inox Western both have western handles. If you have your eyes set on the santoku, go for it. It's relatively inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    No other website offers so good a deal on postage as JCK does.

I dont like Hiromoto, I had one and it is very low. What do you like about it? That you have chosen that ?
    have you got Hiromoto? which one?? i chose it because it is 17cm and it is a little cheaper than others santoku.. sure the quality is not to hight like Hittori for example.. but what can i do? i am student yet and i havent got too much money available for knife.. leter i will choose better!!

I had 24cm chefs knife.

I sold it cause 48 mm in height is way too low for me. Now I use knives that are minimum 52, and it feel pretty much on the borderline for me.

And I think even in this price bracket there are better cutting knives than Hiromoto, and the steel well I dont want to say its bad, but its tasteless.

have you any suggestion for that price? max 80$ !!

Not true about santoku lacking a point. They exist. Here's my Kiya 180mm (posted recently re: polishing) and I'd say the shape is kind of like a miniature Takeda gyuto, isn't it? I think of it as a nakiri - good at chopping and manoeuvrable, though not quite as thin as my nakiri - but with that point, and you can even rock with it some too. Probably the one I grab the most, though this has something to do with me not being too worried about care with this one.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  30.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gozzila100 View Post
    is these better?
    That retailer will only ship those particular knives to addresses the U.S. (why that is, I don't know). I would probably stick with Japanese Chef's Knife (quick and inexpensive shipping all over the world, and a large selection of relatively inexpensive offerings); or you might find something nice that's close to your budget in the buy/sell/trade area area.

I can't really help you with your decision, as I don't own a santoku and haven't tried many knives in your price range. The JCK CarboNext series is frequently recommended, but the santoku (180mm) is over your budget a little at $100.

How are you planning on keeping your new purchase sharp? This deserves consideration as well.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    How are you planning on keeping your new purchase sharp? This deserves consideration as well.
    Yes - get a combination 1000/6000 whetstone.