Quantcast
Which one should I buy? - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which one should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by gozzila100 View Post
    have you any suggestion for that price? max 80$ !!
    http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/FKHSeries.html

18cm santoku for 78 bucks with postage

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/FKMSeries.html

Stainless

thanks for information.. we have in university sharpening stones.. so i will sharp them in university until i buy mine!!

my girlfriend (she is cook too) buy Shun Wasabi (35euro) knife.. but i havent use it yet.. what do you think.. hiromoto or shun is better?

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    Not true about santoku lacking a point. They exist. Here's my Kiya 180mm (posted recently re: polishing) and I'd say the shape is kind of like a miniature Takeda gyuto, isn't it? I think of it as a nakiri - good at chopping and manoeuvrable, though not quite as thin as my nakiri - but with that point, and you can even rock with it some too. Probably the one I grab the most, though this has something to do with me not being too worried about care with this one.

Attachment 10166
    h
    how much it costs?

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    hmmm.... good suggestions.. i like more the 2nd one.. but tell me please.. why to buy one of these and not hiromoto... i ask because i want to learn!!

Quote Originally Posted by gozzila100 View Post
    h how much it costs?
    Sorry - can't remember exactly, but around JPY 14,000 in Tokyo. I think more than you wanted to pay. It's pretty good, but I agree with some others that if you get one knife then get a gyuto. This knife is popular for Japanese home cooks working in small home kitchens; it would probably make a good wedding gift, though the Japanese just tend to give money for weddings. Anyway, that's why it's good for me and my tiny counterspace, though I have gyutos too and would definitely use one in culinary school or a pro kitchen instead. You need a longer blade and the ability to cut more in less time. Another option - more for during service - might be a 210mm sujihiki/petty as a go-to knife. Not that big and can keep at hand for so many tasks.

good price i think!! i want to visit Tokyo,too !!!

i think i will buy hiromoto.. dont know why. may be because i got also gyuto knife (medium quality) and i want shorter knife like santoku... i wish i take the right decision..

No idea about the quality, but looks so petite. Maybe it's got a big handle which makes the blade look smaller; I don't know. Is there a 180mm? It's got a bit of a 'point' though, which is useful, and a kurouchi finish which will make it easier to care for.

it is 165mm... i it a little short.. but i seen in youtube that it is very sharp!