Quantcast
Which one should I buy?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which one should I buy?

Which one should I buy?

hallo.. i am a student.. and this is my last year.. soon i will be professional cook and i want to buy a good japanese knife..I've worked in one of the best restaurants in Greece, Corfu, the "Etrusco" and i can say that i have a lot of experience for begginer to use japanese knives..
    I would like you know your opinion about these knives..
    which one is better??

http://japanesechefsknife.com/Page4.html (santoku 160mm)

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-TOJ...-/230775725163

Thanks!!

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Are you sure you want a santoku? Most people here prefer gyuto.

If you are dead set on one of those two knives, I'd go with the hiromoto.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post

i got a Gyuto knife too... but not good quality (no japanese) .. it is 21cm and its not comfortable enought .. that is the reason for me.. i want shorter knife becuase i think that i should cut faster and with more comfort!! what do you think... am i correct?

Greetings! Good luck in your search.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by gozzila100 View Post
    i got a Gyuto knife too... but not good quality (no japanese) .. it is 21cm and its not comfortable enought .. that is the reason for me.. i want shorter knife becuase i think that i should cut faster and with more comfort!! what do you think... am i correct?
    I like narrow knives also. If you look at the blade width measurements, the hiromoto santoku is only 1mm narrower than the hiromoto gyuto (42mm vs. 43mm). Personally, I would try and find a narrower gyuto than go with a santoku just for blade height reasons.

thanks!! Tell me please what are your selection characteristics for a knife..

If you are going to be a pro and don't have unlimited money, a guyto will be more likely to encompass all your cutting needs, whereas a santoku is good for cutting veggies but lacks the point with which to do detail work. The other thing is, more blade length will allow you to cut more per stroke than a shorter blade, also important as a pro. Finally, your knife skills will improve enough to feel comfortable with a longer (good quality) knife

Quote Originally Posted by gozzila100 View Post
    thanks!! Tell me please what are your selection characteristics for a knife..
    There are so many different things to look for it's hard to say. I think your best option when starting out is to go for a knife that people tend to like and is inexpensive. The CarboNext is one: http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYA...extSeries.html
    Japanese knife imports (http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/) also offers some nice starting knives (Gesshin Uraku, Gesshin Kagero and Suisin Inox Western). However, JKI won't be shipping again for around a month, the proprietors are in Japan for the month.

i have a gyuto knife and i think tha a cook also need a santoku knife.. my cutting skills are good (but i can improve them more) so i think that if i have 3 knives.. (santoku, gyuto, petty) its ok... i can do my job!!

+ Reply to Thread