Which one should I buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gozzila100

Reaction score
hallo.. i am a student.. and this is my last year.. soon i will be professional cook and i want to buy a good japanese knife..I've worked in one of the best restaurants in Greece, Corfu, the "Etrusco" and i can say that i have a lot of experience for begginer to use japanese knives..
I would like you know your opinion about these knives..
which one is better??

http://japanesechefsknife.com/Page4.html (santoku 160mm)

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-TOJIRO-DP-Cobalt-Santoku-Knife-170mm-/230775725163

Thanks!!

Are you sure you want a santoku? Most people here prefer gyuto.

If you are dead set on one of those two knives, I'd go with the hiromoto.

Are you sure you want a santoku? Most people here prefer gyuto.

If you are dead set on one of those two knives, I'd go with the hiromoto.

i got a Gyuto knife too... but not good quality (no japanese) .. it is 21cm and its not comfortable enought .. that is the reason for me.. i want shorter knife becuase i think that i should cut faster and with more comfort!! what do you think... am i correct?

i got a Gyuto knife too... but not good quality (no japanese) .. it is 21cm and its not comfortable enought .. that is the reason for me.. i want shorter knife becuase i think that i should cut faster and with more comfort!! what do you think... am i correct?

I like narrow knives also. If you look at the blade width measurements, the hiromoto santoku is only 1mm narrower than the hiromoto gyuto (42mm vs. 43mm). Personally, I would try and find a narrower gyuto than go with a santoku just for blade height reasons.

thanks!! Tell me please what are your selection characteristics for a knife..

If you are going to be a pro and don't have unlimited money, a guyto will be more likely to encompass all your cutting needs, whereas a santoku is good for cutting veggies but lacks the point with which to do detail work. The other thing is, more blade length will allow you to cut more per stroke than a shorter blade, also important as a pro. Finally, your knife skills will improve enough to feel comfortable with a longer (good quality) knife

thanks!! Tell me please what are your selection characteristics for a knife..

There are so many different things to look for it's hard to say. I think your best option when starting out is to go for a knife that people tend to like and is inexpensive. The CarboNext is one: http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKICarboNextSeries.html
Japanese knife imports (http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/) also offers some nice starting knives (Gesshin Uraku, Gesshin Kagero and Suisin Inox Western). However, JKI won't be shipping again for around a month, the proprietors are in Japan for the month.

i have a gyuto knife and i think tha a cook also need a santoku knife.. my cutting skills are good (but i can improve them more) so i think that if i have 3 knives.. (santoku, gyuto, petty) its ok... i can do my job!!

There are so many different things to look for it's hard to say. I think your best option when starting out is to go for a knife that people tend to like and is inexpensive. The CarboNext is one: http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKICarboNextSeries.html
Japanese knife imports (http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/) also offers some nice starting knives (Gesshin Uraku, Gesshin Kagero and Suisin Inox Western). However, JKI won't be shipping again for around a month, the proprietors are in Japan for the month.

i dont like circle handles... like Gesshin.. i dont know.. may be because i am begginer!! :)
santoku is perfect for me... i try santoku and i think it is better for me!!
do you know other sites to order knives? ;)

No other website offers so good a deal on postage as JCK does.

I dont like Hiromoto, I had one and it is very low. What do you like about it? That you have chosen that ?

i dont like circle handles... like Gesshin.. i dont know.. may be because i am begginer!! :)
santoku is perfect for me... i try santoku and i think it is better for me!!
do you know other sites to order knives? ;)

That's fine, some people just don't like them. Gesshin Kagero and Suisin Inox Western both have western handles. If you have your eyes set on the santoku, go for it. It's relatively inexpensive.

No other website offers so good a deal on postage as JCK does.

I dont like Hiromoto, I had one and it is very low. What do you like about it? That you have chosen that ?

have you got Hiromoto? which one?? i chose it because it is 17cm and it is a little cheaper than others santoku.. sure the quality is not to hight like Hittori for example.. but what can i do? i am student yet and i havent got too much money available for knife.. leter i will choose better!!

I had 24cm chefs knife.

I sold it cause 48 mm in height is way too low for me. Now I use knives that are minimum 52, and it feel pretty much on the borderline for me.

And I think even in this price bracket there are better cutting knives than Hiromoto, and the steel well I dont want to say its bad, but its tasteless.

Not true about santoku lacking a point. They exist. Here's my Kiya 180mm (posted recently re: polishing) and I'd say the shape is kind of like a miniature Takeda gyuto, isn't it? I think of it as a nakiri - good at chopping and manoeuvrable, though not quite as thin as my nakiri - but with that point, and you can even rock with it some too. Probably the one I grab the most, though this has something to do with me not being too worried about care with this one.

View attachment 10166

is these better?

That retailer will only ship those particular knives to addresses the U.S. (why that is, I don't know). I would probably stick with Japanese Chef's Knife (quick and inexpensive shipping all over the world, and a large selection of relatively inexpensive offerings); or you might find something nice that's close to your budget in the buy/sell/trade area area.

I can't really help you with your decision, as I don't own a santoku and haven't tried many knives in your price range. The JCK CarboNext series is frequently recommended, but the santoku (180mm) is over your budget a little at $100.

How are you planning on keeping your new purchase sharp? This deserves consideration as well.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your decision.

thanks for information.. we have in university sharpening stones.. so i will sharp them in university until i buy mine!!

my girlfriend (she is cook too) buy Shun Wasabi (35euro) knife.. but i havent use it yet.. what do you think.. hiromoto or shun is better?

Not true about santoku lacking a point. They exist. Here's my Kiya 180mm (posted recently re: polishing) and I'd say the shape is kind of like a miniature Takeda gyuto, isn't it? I think of it as a nakiri - good at chopping and manoeuvrable, though not quite as thin as my nakiri - but with that point, and you can even rock with it some too. Probably the one I grab the most, though this has something to do with me not being too worried about care with this one.

View attachment 10166
h
how much it costs?

h how much it costs?

Sorry - can't remember exactly, but around JPY 14,000 in Tokyo. I think more than you wanted to pay. It's pretty good, but I agree with some others that if you get one knife then get a gyuto. This knife is popular for Japanese home cooks working in small home kitchens; it would probably make a good wedding gift, though the Japanese just tend to give money for weddings. Anyway, that's why it's good for me and my tiny counterspace, though I have gyutos too and would definitely use one in culinary school or a pro kitchen instead. You need a longer blade and the ability to cut more in less time. Another option - more for during service - might be a 210mm sujihiki/petty as a go-to knife. Not that big and can keep at hand for so many tasks.

i think i will buy hiromoto.. dont know why. may be because i got also gyuto knife (medium quality) and i want shorter knife like santoku... i wish i take the right decision..

No idea about the quality, but looks so petite. Maybe it's got a big handle which makes the blade look smaller; I don't know. Is there a 180mm? It's got a bit of a 'point' though, which is useful, and a kurouchi finish which will make it easier to care for.

it is 165mm... i it a little short.. but i seen in youtube that it is very sharp!

Back