Need some Spanish Mackerel suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlassEye

Reaction score
I picked up a nice looking Spanish Mackerel today, I don't have any ideas for what to do to it after it meets the deba. Could I get some ideas for nice, simple, ways to se this?

Thanks all

Marinade/ grill, salt it ( skin on ) let it sit in the fridge over night and dry and broil it skin side up. Smoke it and make dip. Pickle it.... If you're into that sort of thing.

I love Spanish makeral sashimi, then you can break out your yanagiba as well :)

The new Hide hasn't tasted fish yet, so sashimi is likely. I recall having seen the skin left on and torched or splashed with boiling water, does this sound right?

Remember this fish has 2 layers of skin you want to peel away the first traditionally after you clean it you salt it for 1 hour and then wash it and sushi vinegar. I like to make a noodle dish with grilled mackerel shiso cucumber somen sesame seed the whites of scallion kombu and bonito broth.....thats all cold so maybe more of a summer dish....autum fish will get fatty and taste wonderfull alone glhf!

We always grilled or broiled them with S&P, maybe a dab of butter, and squeezed some lime juice on them when done. Good eats.

OT, but here's my spanish mackerel story. When I was a kid, my parents and one of my sisters were out fishing and got into a school of spanish mackerel. My mom hooked one, and all of a sudden her pole bent WAY down underneath the side of the boat. The next thing we knew, a 25-lb barracuda comes flying in the other side of the boat along with a half mackerel on the end of my mom's line. Dad grabbed the billy club and started pounding on this barracuda thrashing around in the bottom of the boat, my mom is kicking it, and my sister and I are hanging off the stern trying to decide if we'd be better off in the water. Another boat was anchored near us, and the people on it apparently saw the whole thing, because they were screaming "Kill it! Kill it!" The billy club broke, and my dad finished off the barracuda with a beer bottle. The amazing thing was that the barracuda never opened its mouth. It had hit one of the seats in the boat, and when we reupholsterd the seats later on, we found out the fish had hit the seat so hard it had splintered the 1/2" plywood beneath the cushion.

Gut 'em, gill 'em and grill whole. These fish are meant to be enjoyed head to tail.

These fish are meant to be enjoyed head to tail.
Nearly every fish should be enjoyed head to tail.

I have a few plans right now, will try to post pics when done.

I welcome more ideas, though.

We always grilled or broiled them with S&P, maybe a dab of butter, and squeezed some lime juice on them when done. Good eats.

OT, but here's my spanish mackerel story. When I was a kid, my parents and one of my sisters were out fishing and got into a school of spanish mackerel.
~~~Snip~~~~~~~~~~

This explains a bit about Lucretia!

Bones for stock, rice noodles, meat marinated in soy, sesame oil.

Once stock is done, add evaporated milk, cilantro, sesame oil, light soy and a splash of shaoxing wine. Cook fish in the stock with the rice noodles..

Or

Grilled with salt, lemon juice, serve with baba ganoush.

So, I opened it up to find it had not been handled as well as I hoped, won't be doing sashimi. I just broiled one side, eaten with homemade yuzu kosho.

Back