Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yoshikane petty thinning job

Quote Originally Posted by wsfarrell View Post
    Details on how you finished it? Nice work.
    Me too, please tell. Looks like a great result.

(By the way, Bieniek, will get back to you on the pm.)

That's a crap load of work you did here and the results you achieved look great and I'm sure work great as well. Congrats!

Wow, great work. This is how serious thinning should be done if you are gonna take matters into your own hands. Looks new!

Quote Originally Posted by wsfarrell View Post
    Details on how you finished it? Nice work.
    Sure. Right after the last stone - binsui - the knife looked like in the last photos of the left side.
    My lowest grit paper was 400, so i began with that. After that was 800, 1200, and then I used slurry off red aoto, applied it with 1200 grit paper, single strokes, and then same slurry with 2000 grit paper.
    Quick few strokes with felt and anonymous alu compound and its shiny-hazed.

jgraeff you could say that spine as a matter of fact is at an slight angle, but the blade side's lower part lays flat on the abrasive. Its just about the grind on a japanese knife [which is not flat along entire height of the blade] that allows you to thin where you want by controlling where you press. simplest example if you take a deba and thin down the secondary bevel. Spine is at an angle, but the business end contacts stone/plate

heirkb, yes I got the handle through Maksim, but back in June at the Gathering. Grabbed two for pettys. I think he is backordered with these now.

Thanks to all of you for kind words. Hehe so much work just to sell it

Wow, that knife should definitely sell well. It looks way better than when I got it new!

naaice !! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    Next up is binsui, and after that new finish to the whole blade by wetpapers and some stonemud.
    why Binsui, do you have Red Aoto ?
    Binsui gives good results ?
    whats naguras you add on Binsui ?

thank you )

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Wow, that knife should definitely sell well. It looks way better than when I got it new!
    Especially I also polished spine and choil :

Thanks Schanop,

Gentlecook, aoto is slower, would not remove scratches after jns 1k and would kill me with slurry.
    Binsui is good enough for me.
    I use botan and mejiro.