Yoshikane petty thinning job

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bieniek

Banned
Reaction score
I figured I would make a thread for those who were interested.
If its useless, cause of quality or the content then say out loud.
Plus I thought I will not work on the videos, I will let them be as they are.

So here are the first two where I get the actual thinning done by DMT

[video=youtube;ku_mNhFv57w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku_mNhFv57w&feature=plcp[/video]
[video=youtube;JbttrDFQYCY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbttrDFQYCY&feature=plcp[/video]

And pics one side after DMT XC with big arse scratches

1005120ga.jpg

And the other side with them removed a little with DMT C

1005119t.jpg

Worth noting since I got this knife more than year ago I did not thin it at all, weird for me I actually dont know why and must say its performance before the action... well, no performance

You didn't like that petty before the thinning? I thought it was pretty sweet. It's not a fair comparison, but I liked the petty better than my Shig gyuto. Obviously, the petty was thinner and had less surface area for stiction, but still...

are you left-handed ?

Right handed.
When it comes to sharpening, I prefer to use both hands equally.

Heirkb I like the petty, I like the steel but Im crazy about carbon cladding cause its much easier to maintain.

Remember I sharpened it few times, after it got here. I thinned it once it got here, but after it got some use... :)

[video=youtube;p1sXDsNfF6M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1sXDsNfF6M&feature=plcp[/video]

Here its worked with JNS 1k. I just removed most scratches that DMTs made.

1005128l.jpg

1005123.jpg

Next up is binsui, and after that new finish to the whole blade by wetpapers and some stonemud.

OK time for small update.

No video this time, not enough light outside.
But so one side of the blade is finished. This are the best photos I managed.
You can see the difference from the other side.

And a pic of the new handle and saya repolished.
Not sharpened yet, but this knife is one thin bastard now...

1005203qw.jpg

1005202y.jpg

1005205q.jpg

1005207di.jpg

1005208y.jpg

1005206c.jpg

Looks like good work to me! I just tried polishing a blade face for the first time yesterday, I'm appreciating the work you did here b/c of it :)

Looks great.

Did you get that handle through Maksim?

Great videos! much appreciated! so it looks like the blade isnt flat on the stone is that right but a very low angle?

That's a crap load of work you did here and the results you achieved look great and I'm sure work great as well. Congrats!:thumbsup:

Wow, great work. This is how serious thinning should be done if you are gonna take matters into your own hands. Looks new!

Details on how you finished it? Nice work.

Sure. Right after the last stone - binsui - the knife looked like in the last photos of the left side.
My lowest grit paper was 400, so i began with that. After that was 800, 1200, and then I used slurry off red aoto, applied it with 1200 grit paper, single strokes, and then same slurry with 2000 grit paper.
Quick few strokes with felt and anonymous alu compound and its shiny-hazed.

jgraeff you could say that spine as a matter of fact is at an slight angle, but the blade side's lower part lays flat on the abrasive. Its just about the grind on a japanese knife [which is not flat along entire height of the blade] that allows you to thin where you want by controlling where you press. simplest example if you take a deba and thin down the secondary bevel. Spine is at an angle, but the business end contacts stone/plate

heirkb, yes I got the handle through Maksim, but back in June at the Gathering. Grabbed two for pettys. I think he is backordered with these now.

Thanks to all of you for kind words. Hehe so much work just to sell it:whistling:

Wow, that knife should definitely sell well. It looks way better than when I got it new!

Next up is binsui, and after that new finish to the whole blade by wetpapers and some stonemud.

why Binsui, do you have Red Aoto ?
Binsui gives good results ?
whats naguras you add on Binsui ?

thank you )

Wow, that knife should definitely sell well. It looks way better than when I got it new!

Especially I also polished spine and choil :)::)

Thanks Schanop,

Gentlecook, aoto is slower, would not remove scratches after jns 1k and would kill me with slurry.
Binsui is good enough for me.
I use botan and mejiro.

Back