La Trompette tang

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benuser

from The Netherlands, EU.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was working on Son's 290mm La Trompette (1890's) when the handle came off. No big deal, but it offered a look at the tang which is 1" long.
The knife's total weight is around 245 grams,

How is a handle for that kind of tang constructed? It would seem like a metal sleeve in the handle would keep the tang from injuring the wood?

Original handle is lost. Tang is being driven directly into the wood. As far as I've seen on pictures the originals had a ferrule, just as the replacement handle does. It works well if the wood is not too soft.

This is something that I have been pondering of late. Just how far into the handle does a tang need to go? The stress is all at the junction of the handle with the blade, but the tang needs to be long enough that the handle is not prone to self ejection. If there is a pin in the tang it seems to me that the length does not need to be very long.

The original tang on these nogent styles went all the way out the back of the handle and were either screwed into a little nut and peened over or were burned in and peened over. I agree with you Spike.

I can't take the handle off, but I do have a photo of one that is missing the retaining nut. This is one of Chef's it is a Trompette, but all the markings have long since pitted away.

trompette1.jpg

trompette2.jpg

trompette3.jpg

trompette4.jpg

Ok, Son, I have to admit: it must be a shortened rat tail!

P.S. My request to take off the handle was not to be taken that seriously...

P.S. My request to take off the handle was not to be taken that seriously...[/QUOTE]

I know.

Back