• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Shig 300mm kasumi yanagi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermes7792

Reaction score
Well, I literally JUST got this knife, it being my first single bevel I realize I made a mistake and I want to start on something cheaper. So instead of ruining a beautiful brand new Shig I will sell it and get a cheaper knife to learn with.

Knife is is brand new in box never used to cut with.

Asking $550 shipped anywhere in the US.

Sorry for crappy phone pics, comes with box and the ORIGINAL anti rust paper(say what?!).

20120924_004715_resized.jpg20120924_004727_resized.jpg20120924_004824_resized.jpg20120924_004919_resized.jpg

I can take better pics if interested as well, or ones that weren't taken at 3:00am

PRICE DROP 500 shipped!

Geez I though shigs were popular

Looking back at the old threads on B/S/T a 270 sold for 500 and it had been used.

bump by the way

This is a really great knife. I think most people are just scared of a 300mm.

Yanagibas aren't moving nowadays. This Shig, Tadatsuna, Azuma Minamoto No Masahisa, and My Suisin ...

300 is such a good size, I have two 270's and at times I just find them to small...

the US isn't Japan. i'd buy this, in a second, if i had the money, and if i didn't already have as much Yanagi as i needed. like i said, the US isn't Japan. and i'm a major Shig fan. good luck!

If i should only keep one knife from Shigefusa it will be his single beveled, as he is one of the best of making single beveled knives and most known for it in Japan :)
Sob i am surprised it stil here

Thats true, I think I bought one from same batch.

This knife is just pure perfection.
I own and see 3 Doi's and even though they are 3x as much in price, Shig is much better, a knife with a soul.

And maybe chefs knives are more popular, but for me single bevels are just level higher. Or two actually

Not only the sharpness, but the shape and finish of the blade. The grind. Amazing grind.

I dont know no better.

I've got my shig 270 yanagi though maxim, and been trying to let go Suisin Densho 300 :-0

Shig is a much better/suitable knife for me, a lowly home cook, being lighter, about the right length etc... Plus it is a lot more fun trying to polish a shig with cloud.

If the knife were left-handed it would be gone by now. Curses!

I think its just waiting for the right person. This is going to make someone very happy.

Too bad more Sushi Chefs in the US don't pull their heads out of their butts and check for this kind of thing.

Yanagibas aren't moving nowadays. This Shig, Tadatsuna, Azuma Minamoto No Masahisa, and My Suisin ...

Nothing's moving. Two unused Carters are just sitting around, too.

Maybe some of the unused/virtually new knives aren't attracting buyers because, being unused/new, there's only a small amount of savings compared with the new prices with the vendors. This Shig and others usually seem to be discounted at 5-10% off the new price, so if it's the right knife at the right time then it's a bit of a deal. But if you weren't necessarily thinking of picking that particular knife up at the moment, then perhaps it's not enough of a deal to convince.

That's how it is with me. I don't really need anything now, but always check the buy&sell threads to see if there's something I should look into. If it's not really a big cut off the new price or a really good deal for me otherwise, then it's hard to convince myself and I feel I can wait until I decide I really need something in the future, and then pay the regular online price at just 5-10% more - or maybe in a few months another deal will come along?

Plus, I don't know how it is for everyone, but perhaps times are tough. Maybe it's also why some nicer stuff than usual has been available on buy/sell/trade recently (people have observed; I wasn't here a year ago). If you're interested in buying and see more and more nice stuff appearing, it's easier to be patient too. Sorry to say, but perhaps this has been happening a bit.

Good luck with the sale. Or maybe just keep it and don't worry so much about f-ing it up as it's your 1st single bevel. It'll probably be fine.

I keep on wanting to buy, but for me it's between a new knife versus a short holiday with my wife. What would you do?

Those are very good points, Cutty. I was looking for a 300 yanagi when I committed to buy a new-in-box 300 at only a slight savings, when a lightly-used and well-maintained 300 yanagi came up for sale at a substantial savings over new. I grabbed it and now I have two. [gulp]

If I hadn't just bought the 270mm Shig with custom Marko handle about a month ago I would be all over this....Still trying to justify having both a 270 and a 300.

Back