Soaking times

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainsausage

Reaction score
I just received a bestor 1200, and Rika 5000 from the unnameable. I was wondering what a proper soak time is on these guys. This is my first foray into proper whetstones/sharpening. Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

-Josh

I just leave mine submerged whenever not in use. You can use them after about 30 minutes or so. If while you are using them they are getting dry in a couple minutes, or you can see the water soaking into the stone, they need a longer bath.

Usually the Bestor can soak for a few minutes and then be used with lots of water being added constantly if needed.

If you plan to keep your stones at home just yes soak them forever, I would take a 1/2 GN or 1/3 GN and just keep both together in one water.

Doesnt take too much space either.

My bester 1200 and beston 500 have been permasoaking since I last moved, a year ago. I change the water at least once a week ( when I do my work knives ) , it's very convenient to just grab the container out of the cupboard and you're ready to go. Although I live in the tropics I've not had any problems with mould so I don't add bleach to the water as some suggest.

Permasoak and flatten as you go. I can be stubborn, and I was part of the Carter camp in my views on flattening, but now that I'm honing razors more and more, I'm really noticing how important a flat stone is (stupid, dumb, stupidity, stupid....). I'm sure you know this, but mine got pretty bad, and I spent about 2 hours flattening/chamfering stones, yesterday, when I should have been doing pretty much anything else.

Back