Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting a Handle on Marko

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    thats a really short tang now... be careful
    Careful? What do you think could happen?

the shorter tangs can lead to wobble within the handle (usually up and down in the case of shorter tangs), a less secure fit, greater chance of the handle falling off, and less metal to wear away over the years of use.

I'd think about epoxying it to avoid the exact issues Jon mentioned. He's a smart dude, and since that was my instinct as well....
    But, it does look great!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thanks for the advice. I'm a home cook and I treat my knives gently (no rat-a-tat chopping, no hard squash), so I don't think it will be a problem.

If I do decide to glue it at some point, I'd rather not take the handle off---it's *really* tight. So can anyone suggest a glue that's liquid enough to be applied with something like a large-bore needle?

even with glue, there can still be problems... i've seen this happen more than a few times with similar situations. Find a glue with a little flexibility so that it doesnt chip, crack, or shear with pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    even with glue, there can still be problems... i've seen this happen more than a few times with similar situations. Find a glue with a little flexibility so that it doesnt chip, crack, or shear with pressure.
    I've done two handles like this recently with Gorilla Glue, and had no issues. It's made for furniture, and handles stress with ease. It's a little thick though to apply with the blade already in the handle. I was hoping for specific recommendations for something thinner.

I'd like to burn it in, but I don't have a good enough heat source. I assume that's the preferred method?