Media Three Piece Snapper Filet

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;W7__yMkGvzc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7__yMkGvzc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Knife used:
Yoshihiro 210mm Suminigashi Deba in Blue Steel #1

Final Dish:

Pan Seared American Red Snapper
Okinawa Sweet Potato, Sauteed Spinach, Glazed Fennel, Grilled Persimmon
Ginger Lemongrass Vinaigrette

Mad skills....my goal this year...more whole fish.

Excellent work! What kind of edge do you like on your Deba for that?

I can't speak for theory but I like a similar finish on both deba and gyuto. Something refined with a good bit of bite. Some fishes' skins are pretty thick and a bit of bite goes a long way. That being said I usually finish on the kitiyama and micro bevel on one of my harder natural stones.

Nice vid and skills, thanks. How many snappers do you encounter in a day?

Grilled persimmons? The season's almost upon us here and I hadn't thought of that; we've got a tree outside and my wife's lemongrass in the garden (well, in a pot on the balconey).

I keep it around 5-6k. Recently I picked up the Gesshin 6k splash and go for work and have been touching up on that.

I really want to get a beginners deba and start learning how to break down fish like so. I have mainly been using a suji for salmon, halibut, bass, etc. This method just looks so much cleaner

Cool thanks. I still should send you this knife Dave. I've been working it out but the shinogi line still needs to come up a bit to match the tip and there's a slight over grind on the blade road near the heel and one at the tip...

"wish I had started using debas years ago...I see more in my future" from an email I wrote a couple of weeks ago. Biggest smile on my face recently was butchering an American red snapper using a new Uraku 195 with finish sharpening and microbevel by Jon at JKI...cut like buttah!

Back