Best forced patina

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmadams13

Banned
Reaction score
I removed the Ku finish from my Tojiro IDK 210 last night, and it is now reacting like a mofo. Onions, apples, pears are all turning black. Was gonna force a patina today to help with that. What would you recommend, mustard, viniger, beef blood...? Anyone ever try red wine?

TIA ~joe

I saw a nice forced patina someone here did by chopping onions finely and wrapping the blade in it. Left a nice looking speckled patina. The onions just need to be freshly cut. I think it's in the patina thread. Good luck and welcome!

Joe, if the cladding under the KU finish is iron (vs steel) then you're screwed because that won't patina.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll read through that thread again, to be honest I just looked at the pictures last time, lol

Oh and btw, I just sliced a few pounds of tomatoes with it, and it is starting to develop nicely even on the surface that was under the KU I sanded off. Unfortunately I can't upload pics here directly from my iPhone or I'd show

How do regular san-mai blades develop patina, then? I did not know there was a difference in the jigane other than the finish...

Back