Quantcast
Kitchen Attack
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Attack

Kitchen Attack

So at work today I caught someone eating a piece of chicken, clean to the bone and putting it back on a sheet tray with other cooked chicken that's gonna go out soon. Obviously I called him out on it. The first problem was he is a prep guy that doesn't speak English at all. He has worked for the owners for close to ten years and even when they bought him tapes or wanted to pay for school he wouldn't go. He thought I was mad about him eating which I never had or would. I was mad he put it with the other chicken. So he slammed the table, I'm bigger than him and thought he was gonna try to fight me which I have no intent of doing. But to my surprise he grabbed my cck 1303 newly sharpened and a great cutter by the way and comes after me. He was literally 5 feet from me swinging. So I picked up a sheet tray as a shield and talked him off the ledge. We called the cops but I didn't press charges but the look in his eyes I thought I was going down. I'm definitely shook up. I'm not the type of chef yelling all day and when ever I tell someone they are wrong I show the right way and explain. Everyone in the kitchen froze and I like to think of myself as a tough person but I'm telling you I couldn't work the rest of the day. I guess I just had to vent. It might not sound it on paper but for that to happen in a real kitchen with real people not in a movie or book it's crazy. I have a 1 year old daughter and a wife the last thing I need is to worry at work. Work is hard enough as it is

I've seen that "look in the eyes" only once. I thought I was going to embarrass myself by trickling down my legs. Good thing you had that tray handy. I hope tomorrow is better!
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

I hope he saw his last day of work there and I'm glad to hear that you're Ok.

A couple years ago in Boston a server was sleeping with one of the line cook's girlfriend. The affair came out in the kitchen and during service one night the line cook got so enraged he came out from behind the line and stabbed the server.

I'm really sorry to hear this, Turbo. I hope that you can work your way past this. The guy definitely needs to get some help, somewhere else!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

How scary.

I take it today was his last day? I would be worried about firing him, but equally worried about letting him stay.

I remember my father taking a pistol to work to keep in his desk for a few months after letting a shady character go.

Press charges for everyone's safety

We let him go but now what. Do I have to look over my shoulder everytime I get to work. Plus you don't want that environment for the other employees. Plus anyone who worked for me knows anytime someone needs off or has to leave early or even needs to borrow money I don't even ask why. It's always a yes.

I would probably be nervous for a little while, but there's nothing you could have done differently to prevent it and the guy obviously brought the trouble on himself. If anything, he should be thrilled that he only lost his job and isn't sitting in jail as we speak facing serious charges.

Sorry this happened to you.

That's a friggin nightmare. I'm glad you're ok. There's a coue of our dishwashers that I worry about freaking out someday, but not like that...

+ Reply to Thread