Quantcast
Washing fruits and vegetables. Seriously, what's the point? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Washing fruits and vegetables. Seriously, what's the point?

Because I have seen the amount of people that, poke, feel, press etc every piece of produce in the store....and i know most those people dont wash their hands.

A little filth is good for you, lol. We bred dogs for a lot of years. It was pretty telling to see how dogs raised in "clean" spaces obviously had a lot more health issues than dogs raised in "dirty" places. I'm less worried about a few germs (not big a$$ colonies or anything, mind you) than I am about pesticides.

I don't think rinsing does much but I do it anyway unless I think the food is going to absorb a ton of water. Then, I just brush it off and use it.

+1 TK Its proven that children raised in an environment rich in bacterial, fungi flora have stronger immune systems. farms, animals in general, ocean..

The pickers are way out in the fields eating fruit all day. Miles away from a bathroom. Running water. Soap. Toilet paper. Nahmean?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    this article may be of interest: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=14540742

washing and cleaning is all about reduction, not elimination. eliminating all of the bacteria is not really feasible or necessary.
    Interesting article.

Our grocery has most of its produce loose in bins, so no telling who's been putting their cooties all over it. Depending on what item it is, I'll use a little dishwashing soap on it--seems to cut through the wax on apples, tomatoes, etc. I might have to give the vinegar solution a try.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

I'm surprised only 1 person has mentioned chemicals - pesticides, herbicides - and for me this is the #1 priorty with rinsing, depending on what I've bought. Doubly so if you've got a pregnant wife like me or children around. As for hygene, sure water's only go reduce surface bacteria some, not entirely, but that's still an improvement.

Just wondering - for those of you who've been to chef school, what is usually said about this topic there? People's obvious worry is not seeing bugs or dirt in their food, but I think chemical contamination could be worse.

You also don't know what those trucks that transport the stuff were hauling before the produce got loaded.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    I rinse fruit and vegetables but i want to know if it is really necessary. I understand what you are saying but that means the e-coli is underneath the wax on the tomato. So in that case rinsing wouldn't do anything. If it's on the outside then you only dilute the e-coli not wash it away.

Is there a logic driven reason for rinsing or is it just a mental feel good thing?

-AJ
    A large part of washing isn't bacterial removal it is pesticide and chemical residue removal, You wash it and 75 -80% more chemical residue is removed than if you don't. at least here, less and less places are using the carnauba wax on the fruits and tomatoes. They really aren't a protective coating they are a marketing ploy. People will always by the shiny perfect apple or tomato over the lumpy, dull, scarred one.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Cool

Hi There,

After reading this article, "
    http://www.michaelandjudystouffer.com/judy/articles/vinegar.htm",
    several years ago, I always user hydrogen peroxide and vinegar to wash my fruit and veggies with!!

It is an interesting read!!

Cheers!!!!......

My friend's mom used to soak her fruits and veggies in salt water for a few minutes then wash. It was a fascinating experience eating mildly salty fruit. I just rinse with water though. I don't really care about the buggies, more the chemicals.

And FYI, those freaking sprinklers in grocery stores...they scream LEGIONELLA!!!!! RUNNNNNNN