Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Washing fruits and vegetables. Seriously, what's the point?

i wasn't joking in the slightest, I started vigorously cleaning melons years after a few people died where i was living from salmonella

The most recent serious cantaloupe salmonella outbreak i think was in summer 2012, killed 2 people and apparently listeria infections happen all the time from melons because of transfer from the skin to the fruit when cutting.

Re Vinegar: authoritative article here (granted these were industry scientists)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9713753

survey with references here:

http://www.versatilevinegar.org/pdf/...%20Vinegar.pdf

so Vinegar seems to actually work pretty well from the abstract but to make it work best you have to salt the solution apparently which i will now start doing!

I am completely for living a little closer to bacteria and whatnot - it's good for you to be exposed to it. That being said I vinegar wash my stuff because pesticides aren't something your body builds immune resistance to.

Washing fruits and vegetables. Seriously, what's the point?

Vinegar does not clean off pesticide residue from food. A surfactant is required to break the surface tension of non-polar compounds by a polar solution. oil and water don't mix. Vinegar just changes the pH but it's still a polar solution. That's why it kills pathogens.

To remove the pesticide warm/hot water with some sort of mild detergent and rinse well. This works for skinned fruits/veg. But lousy for leafy things. Those I choose to soak in salted cold water. Really all you can do anything for fresh herbs is rinse them.

I always salad spin my fruit/veg after they get washed. I do not use a vinegar solution to clean my foods. I do wash my chicken and all meat for that matter. My logic is in trying to reduce the bio load on the food rather than sanitize it by washing.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.