Sous Vide Sous Vide Montreal Smoked meat... OH NO

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just wanted to post a few shots of some smoked meat I made recently. There was a post where traditional guys were ranting that using modernist cooking techniques is bad and not necessary. I think their half right but I like to try new things. Here is what i did:

1. Pumped then vacumed tumbled (1 hr) a 2 month wet aged 18LB packer brisket in a low brine salinity and citric acid. Then separated the deckle from the flat. Trimming only a little of the fat-cap.
2.) Sous Vide meat at 147 degrees for 24HRS. Chilled, removed from bad, seasoned with yellow mustard, ******** rub from ********'s, rubbed with confid garlic and 1/2 smoked paprika.
2.) Put in electric smoker at 225 suing alder wood smoked until an internal temp of 140. continued to cook till internal was 190.

3.) removed then let rest in a cooler until internal temp was 160.

A little more work than dusting and kicking it on the smoker. Even though the bark looks hard, the whole brisket was actually very soft and more juicy than I've made yet. I'd say that it tasted just like ********.

Not too shabby for a meager home cook huh?

First shot is after Sous vide but before smoking

brisketcuring.jpg

brisketuncut.jpg

brisket.jpg

You've got to have one heck of a sous vide rig for a cut that big. Pics?

As usual. You are one of my home cook heros.

No barbeque north of Philidelphia! :joec:

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

What are the censored words??? ********'s? Dunn's? Lester's? Abie's?

ETA: Seriously? That's a banned word?

GOD SENT THE DROUGHT TO PUNISH US FOR SOUS-VIDE SACRiLEDGE!! PRAISE HICKORY!! HALLELUJAH, LOW AND SLOW!!!!! :notworthy:
The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. Not looking forward to a pork shortage! :begging:

Unfortunately, I believe it will get a lot worse as fuel and feed prices continue to rise. There have been recent anomalies in the corn market that have yet to completely unfold. Food prices in general are going to rise.

At 147 for 24 hours, it sounds like he did cook it low and slow, lower and slower than almost anyone using the pit method.

(said the Devil's Advocate)

Maybe if he put the bag into a pan of water and then put the pan in the smoker set to 180F? At least then it'd be in the "correct device."

To me it looks great!

Set the pan of water NEXT to the brisket where it can produce steam, and you will be happier with the results. Also, IMHO 6-8 hours at 180 (after the stall) is plenty for a brisket; it's not like you have collagen to extract from the bones. Mr. Bucho, it IS a nice-looking brisket, if you can get past the whole eternal lake of fire thing.

Back