Need help deciding on a new gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefStokely

Reaction score
so i have been looking around for a month for a new gyuto... the ones people have recommended are the misono ux-10 and the hattori fh... both look well crafted but i need some in site on people who own them... also any other knives people recommend... i just need something that is sharp and retains a good edge, and stainless.

I think if you give us a better idea of what it is you're looking for in your new knife ie: western/ wa, thick/ thin and the cutting motions you most often use and what in general you will be using it for we will be more able to steer you in the right direction. I wouldn't rule out the semi-stainless options either. Oh ya, welcome to the knut house! =)

Welcome

Consider also how you will sharpen the knife.

Welcome! My advice is don't blow the bank...yet....

Welcome aboard - stick around and you will find a good deal or two.

i work in a fine dining restaurant so i cut just about anything and everything... as for semi-stainless that can be an option too... and a western gyuto but i am also looking for a traditional deba because i do break down quite a bit of fish... and for sharpening i use whetstones... i am just ready for an upgrade from my global chef knive... and for the price... i dont want to break the bank but willing to spend max of 350 for a good gyuto....

For $300 you can find quite the nice gyuto! You want something laser like or something with a little more spine to it? Wa handle?

Yep, there are a LOT of knives to choose from in the $300 price range. Unfortunately, the UX10 really doesn't stack up too well against them, so definitely look at some of the other options (konosuke, gesshin ginga, gesshin kagero etc etc)

UX10's are popular with the culinary school kids at my job. To them, they are the pinnacle. I think they have great f&f, and stand up well to the abuse (like soaking in a bucket of sani with other utensils), but as stated, there is much better bang for the buck.

I think where Misono thrives (I'm a fan of Misono, for those who don't know), is in the abuse they can take department. They come with wonderful f and f (as mentioned), take a beating and bounce right back (again, as mentioned), and they really do flat out perform. However, they aren't as mind-blowingly amazing as some other knives out there. With that being said, my Misono moly gyuto cuts as well as any knife I've tried, or awfully close. In fact, I measured it head to head, against a Carter of the same size and the geometry was surprisingly similar.
BUT, with that being said, the UX-10 line seems overpriced, when you think about what else you can get for around the same price, or even less.

i like a thinner blade... i like the handle on for ex. the mosamoto vg-10 knife

You know, at $350 you might want to consider Mario. There might also be some wait involved, but I think he is putting things out rather quickly and does blades in stainless CPM154. Check out the KKF hobbyist forum and look for 'show your work' by RRLOVER. Here is my knife as an example -- but there are many others.

k.

Talk to Jon at Japanese knife imports. He is in Japan, but I think he is still checking e-mail.

Fwiw I love my suisin inox honyaki knives, though I got them before the recent price hike. I would still replace them if something were to happen.

Fwiw I love my suisin inox honyaki knives, though I got them before the recent price hike. I would still replace them if something were to happen.

:plus1: Super pleased with my 240mm gyuto.

i work in a fine dining restaurant so i cut just about anything and everything... as for semi-stainless that can be an option too... and a western gyuto but i am also looking for a traditional deba because i do break down quite a bit of fish... and for sharpening i use whetstones... i am just ready for an upgrade from my global chef knive... and for the price... i dont want to break the bank but willing to spend max of 350 for a good gyuto....

Welcome Chef.

So many choices, not just in makers, but in steel, profile, handle, etc.

If you want to go mono steel laser, check out Blue Way Japan on eBay. They sell a brand called Yusuke (which I have several knives from and am a big fan of). They make white #2 and sweish stainless blades. If you go stainless, you can request a higher hardness HT for a small up charge. Yusuke have become well respected around here for being some of the best knives for the coin.

If you want a really slick workhorse, check out the Blazen line at Epic Edge. SG2 powdered metalurgical core, stainless clad, western handle, exceptional F&F. Not too hard at 62, it's fairly easy to sharpen, and has good retention. Doesn't take to touch up so well, as it likes proper sharpening better. To me this is all great, but the stropng points of the knife are the grind - it's got a great convex face on both sides - and it's not too fat at about 3.5mm above the spine. Since it's a clad knife and it not a waif, it's very stiff.

Also check out some thing f/ Jon @ JKI - Uraku for something less expensive. Kochi & Gengetsu are in your range. Hide, Heiji, Ino get more expensive. All are great in their own way.

finally a day off to fill this out...

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? gyuto and maybe a petty...

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? need something with better edge retention and longer... replacing an old global

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics-
Edge Quality/Retention-

What grip do you use? pinch

What kind of cutting motion do you use? rock mainly but use others for certain tasks

Where do you store them? knife bag

Have you ever oiled a handle? no

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? wood

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? whetstone at home then honing rod on the line if needed

Have they ever been sharpened? yes

What is your budget? 350

What do you cook and how often? fine dining and just about everyday

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? no preference

Back