Quantcast
Soufflé Recipes & Tips - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soufflé Recipes & Tips

Looks like every decent souffle starts with a roux. I think I'll try this cheese recipe, but separate the egg yolk and beat the whites to peaks and see if there's a difference.

I know most love chocolate, but my all time favorite is the vanilla souffle with creme anglaise by Todd English. He's taken a lot of lumps over the years, and the Olives cookbook is mediocre at best, but we loved this dessert when Olives was in it's prime. I don't have an official recipe, but I have what he gave me and I think it's in the Olives dessert cookbook, which I haven't read. Happy to share what I have if anyone wants it.
    Neal

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    Yum! Looks like it deflated a little before you took the shot.

I'm still in search of a raspberry souffle that is light and fluffy without any sogginess. I've tried and tried various recipes and modifications, and the end result is always a little too 'wet' in my mouth.
    After reading the posts below this I ran into Jacques Pepin's raspberry soufflé. Have you tried that one? Just wondering.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Thanks for the recipe Chifunda. I'm definitely going to try that one. Btw, I just looked through my Pepin books and I also saw his grits and cheddar soufflé. It's dangerous looking at Pepin's soufflés -- they all sound amazing to me. There is also the lobster soufflé Plaza-Athenee that sounds tasty -- except it seems a bit time consuming.

And Namaxy, I also looked at at the vanilla souffle by English. I actually have that cookbook (signed). He was giving them out at the Chicago Housewares show a couple of years ago. That dessert looks amazing -- though making an ice cream, tuile twist, creme anglaise, and souffle is a good chunk of a day I think I am going to try it with just the creme and soufflé with store bought vanilla ice cream. I'm looking for an interesting dessert for thanksgiving.

k.

edit: I added a photo of the recipe from Olives.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	english_souffle.jpg‎
Views:	27
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	10403  
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

If you have that setting, try baking at only bottom heating.

Try salamander the top for few seconds.

Try to use Crème Pâtissière as a base.

Creme anglaise keeps for 2 days in the fridge. What's easier than milk, cream, egg yolk, sugar, and vanilla? It makes a fabulous base for vanilla ice cream as well. I guess technically, it's frozen vanilla custard instead of vanilla ice cream.

Thomas Keller recipe

1 cup heavy cream
    1 cup milk
    1 to 2 pods of vanilla beans, split (I use only one because mine are large)

Heat to near boil while stirring.

Add 6 egg yolks whisked in 1/4 cup sugar (adjust to taste) and simmer while constantly stirring. (I remove from heat pretty quickly and stir because I don't want too much in curdled eggs)

I use 5 extra-large yolks and when I'm lazy, I use vanilla extract instead.

Pass through a fine strainer into a bowl which is sitting on an ice bath and chill.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    After reading the posts below this I ran into Jacques Pepin's raspberry soufflé. Have you tried that one? Just wondering.

k.
    Is this one that calls for adding whole raspberries instead of a stained raspberry jam? I guess that might work. My issue has been this sticky wet consistency in the raspberry souffle I encounter whenever I make a heated raspberry-sugar jam mixture. I've used roux+milk. I've used a creme patisserie using milk-heavy cream mixture. I've adjusted flour and corn starch combos, and I haven't been able to overcome it. That's why I'm just a home cook and not a pastry chef.

Quote Originally Posted by Chifunda View Post
    My wife and I frequently make this one from Jaques Pepin. Simple, straightforward and no messing about with egg whites. We vary the type of cheese and the herbs depending on mood and what we have on hand:

"When my mother got married, she was 17 and my father was 22. She did not know how to cook, except for a few simple dishes that she had learned from her mother. Yet she was willing and fearless. My father liked cheese souffle, so my mother graciously obliged. She had never made a souffle before, but a friend told her that it consisted of a white sauce (bechamel), grated cheese and eggs — a cinch! To the bechamel, that staple of the French home cook, she added her grated Swiss cheese and then cracked and added one egg after another to the mixture, stirred it well, poured it into a gratin dish, and baked it in the oven. Viola! No one had told her that the eggs should be separated, with the yolks added to the base sauce and the whites whipped to a firm consistency and then gently folded into the mixture. Ignorance is bliss, and in this case it was indeed: The souffle rose to a golden height and become a family favorite. This is a great recipe; it can be assembled hours or even a day ahead, and although it is slightly less airy than a standard souffle, it is delicious."

Ingredients

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, plus more to butter a 6-cup gratin dish
    6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups cold whole milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    5 extra-large eggs
    2 1/3 cups grated Swiss cheese, preferably Gruyere (about 6 ounces)
    3 tablespoons minced fresh chive blades

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Butter a 6-cup gratin dish, and set it aside. Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the flour, and mix it in well with a whisk. Cook for 10 seconds, and add the milk in 1 stroke, and mix it in with a whisk. Keep stirring with the whisk until the mixture thickens and comes to a strong boil, which will take about 2 minutes. It should be thick and smooth. Remove from the heat, and stir in the salt and pepper. Allow about 10 minutes for the white sauce to cool.

Meanwhile, break the eggs into a bowl, and beat well with a fork. Add the eggs, the cheese and the chives to the cooled sauce, and mix well to combine. Pour into the buttered gratin dish and cook immediately, or set aside until ready to cook.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the souffle is puffy and well browned on top. Although it will stay inflated for quite awhile, it is best served immediately.
    Ok, so I tried Chifunda's souffle recipe (via Mr. Pepin). It turned out really tasty and it was super easy. I forgot to add the chives and didn't have a 6-cup gratin pan, so I divided it into three 2-cup ramekins. Cooking time was 35 minutes and prep was about 15 minutes.

k.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cheese_souffle.jpg‎
Views:	17
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	10791  

Dang those are purty!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

last night we made a cauliflower souffle
    roasted cauliflower pieces, 1\3 cup flour
    salt, pepper, nutmeg,habinero powder
    1 cup milk
    1 large egg
    1\2 cup cheddar cheese
    6 egg whites

+ Reply to Thread