Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet peeves

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    As I said, ESL is an exception, but for an adult who've lives their whole life in an English speaking nation, to put an e at the end of tomato, is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.
    I'd say that's just colonial resentment.
    Happiness is a sharp knife.

Quote Originally Posted by DWells View Post
    I'd say that's just colonial resentment.
    ^Sorry, I'll always be a history major, that's a joke.
    Happiness is a sharp knife.

Just have the two that got to me last night.

1. Wash that produce! I know its 10:30 pm and you just need to cut 1 tomato for a garnish, but for the love of Murphy Law wash it first!

2. If you have tools on your station (plating spoons, tongs, ect.) and they are not in a bucket of sani-water i'm going to take them from you and you can use the plastic tasting spoons all night. When you figure out why you can have them back.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I had a guy ask me why I pronounce my spanish/mexican words like a mexican instead of a american. I told him "if I say ------- like ------ they just look at me like I am speaking sweedish, and have no idea what I am saying."
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by ChefOnAWire View Post
    Just have the two that got to me last night.

1. Wash that produce! I know its 10:30 pm and you just need to cut 1 tomato for a garnish, but for the love of Murphy Law wash it first!

2. If you have tools on your station (plating spoons, tongs, ect.) and they are not in a bucket of sani-water i'm going to take them from you and you can use the plastic tasting spoons all night. When you figure out why you can have them back.

Personally disagree with this.. Using chemicals or bleach in combination with food is just as bad.... If your going to be that way about it plastic or new spoons is the way to go every time...

I hate when people don't rotate or label things.

Also when there just too lazy to do it the right way when they know how it should be done.

I feel you Dusty, just thought the legend of Jose was amusing. If a native english-speaker misspells their labels, I give em crap for days. Got a new guy who insists on saying 'jalapeeno'- makes my teeth grind every time
    Restaurant Murphy's Law 101: If you have 5 and don't prep any, you'll sell 6. If you do prep some, you'll sell 4

A few of mine:

Being unorganised and spreading their mess everywhere.
    Not putting things back where they belong, during prep and more importantly during service, so when i need it im not looking everywhere only to find it you put it in your section. Squeezy bottles are the worst.. it lives here, you use it and then put it back exactly in the same spot not anywhere else.

People that start smoking because they want a break?!? ***..
    i have a rule of no smoking from 12-3 & 5-11, i also used to take breaks when i was younger as i dont smoke, and do things such as clip my nails, floss my teeth, re hydrate, if someone gave me stick about being paid to do any of that id just say "youre getting paid to get cancer"

Has anyone mentioned crying? I hate it when people start crying. Men or woman.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneg View Post
    i have a rule of no smoking from 12-3 & 5-11,
    Brilliant!!!

-AJ

We have a smoking rule as well. But even during the slower times of the day, if two or more tables, only one person at a time, even the dish guy and waitstaff. We have such a small crew, missing one person for 5 mins is a hindrance. Right after rush though, if no tickets are coming in, we all take our smoke together before knocking out shutdown.

My newest peeve, that is slowly starting to bother me more and more is not asking before using an oven. I'm the baker here, and need my ovens when I'm ready. So when someone comes into the back kitchen (my domain, but where our big ovens are) turns them down or up, and throws in an item, it sets me back. I think my biggest issue with this is they know better, as I have explained to them over and over why I need to fire when I do.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck