Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Pet peeves

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    As long as he didn't disappear while looking for chinnuts....
    Indeed, that would definitely suck.

What you guys did there.... I can see it.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

ThEoRy I love your signature line, who is that? As for cowards.. an odd sort: left in the middle of his shift, said nothing, just suddenly in the middle of a crushing happy hour we had no dishwasher. Two hours later, came back in tears (!) to tell me he just couldn't handle the pressure. of washing dishes. Didn't pay me back for the redbull I bought him earlier in the day- acted like it was a rude request when I asked for the $3, laughed like i'm made of money; left again. wierd, why'd you come back? Two months later, came in to eat like nothin happened. GM remembered him and told him to leave. His friend who came in with him... stayed and finished his lunch. wierd, kinda cowardly & ballsy all at once
    Restaurant Murphy's Law 101: If you have 5 and don't prep any, you'll sell 6. If you do prep some, you'll sell 4

Quote Originally Posted by Drumjockey View Post
    ThEoRy I love your signature line, who is that?

It's me.

The next line is:

Personal arsenal carnival while your writing is marginal/
    I'm growing tired of this unoriginal earth while even Mars is dull/

Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I hate when people say I'm allergic to this, then the waiter tells them it's in the dish and they say oh it'll be alright.

Stop saying your allergic when you just don't like something!!!!!!!

-getting to work to find the salt and/or butter left over from last night missing from my station
    -being forced to slice meat before it's properly rested bc of time constraints
    -servers who approve special requests before asking
    -customers who order a steak, etc. "medium-plus" or whatever. sure, let me cook that to exactly 137.5 degrees for you. I'm not busy or anything.
    -when brunoise is pronounced "broon-wah". the 'e' at the end means you sound out the 's'. "broon-wah" would be spelled brunois.

i have a few more since i do pastry i have a different view
    -marketing person/party planner saying sure we can do gluten free cakes with blah blah blah, never asking if we can or if we have the ingredients.i would be fine with this but they wanted it that night THATS NOT HAPPENING...of course I made it happen as we always do in this industry.
    -giving plating pictures, directions,and a demo for desserts and finding out they just throw the stuff on the plate saying they dont have time. then why am I asked to make desserts that require such steps by the exec.
    -getting piled on work for private parties because my exec sous is too lazy to do anything other than menu prep...STOP BEING LAZY!
    -and worst of all someone saying "thats not my job, i dont get paid to do that" it makes my blood boil

That last one gets me too. Really really hate that
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Not putting the correct guest count on the ticket.

Coming in after the ticket has printed and saying "oh i forgot to put..." Guess what, we have 4 copies back here, it's busy and fixing the expo's copy doesn't solve anything. Get it right the first time or I'm going to make you re ring the entire thing. Either that or when it goes out as printed and not as you modified it, tough sh!t.

Using the dustpan/butler and rather than emptying it into the garbage, you just leave the crap you swept into for the next person.

Not apologizing for your mistakes. Your mistakes mean more work for me.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    I hate when people say I'm allergic to this, then the waiter tells them it's in the dish and they say oh it'll be alright.

Stop saying your allergic when you just don't like something!!!!!!!
    I go to this place that makes whatever the hell the chef wants, and you have basically no say in it (but it is always uber and outrageous, tasty too) but since I don't want to go there at breakfast time after my nights and get a stack of pancakes i say I have an allergy to pancakes. They laughed and asked me where my allergy bracelet was. Ironically my buddy came with me and had already made me up an allergy bracelet showing pancakes (we both work at the hospital).

It was all in good fun but each time i am in there now they remember and I haven't got anything pancake-ish since