Quantcast
Ginga vs Suisin?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ginga vs Suisin?

Question Ginga vs Suisin?

I haven't had and first hand experience with the Gesshin Ginga Stainless wa-Gyuto, but from my understanding it's quite similar to the Suisin Inox Honyak wa-Gyuto in profile, thinness, weight, etc. I'm not sure if they both use comparable steels, I think the Suisin 19c27, no idea on the Ginga.

However, the Ginga is considerably less expensive: Suisin $406 vs Ginga $250 for the 240mm versions.

How do you guys think these two stack up? e.g. the Ginga the better value but the Suisin the better product?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Haven't owned the Ginga yet. I am ordering one soon though.
    I was fortunate enough to get to meet Ashi san and I've wanted a knife from him since.
    I like that they do everything in house, handle, bolster etc. I own the Suisin and It's a hell of a knife, been a great workhorse for me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Ginga would more closely compare to the Konosuke HD rather than the Suisin IH. I would think its got better f&f than the konosuke, at least compared to the last HD I owned vs the Gingas I've seen in person.

TamanegiKin, I am not familiar with the Konosuke HD...why would the Ginga be more comparable to that than the Suisin? Functional? Materials? F+F?

Thanks!

This is for real a question for Jon Broida. He would no doubt be all over this if not for the fact that he's on Work-cation.

Japanese Knife Imports' Youtube channel has video rundowns on both lines of knives, two in the case of Ginga, perhaps watching those could elucidate the differences.

Eamon, thanks...I've seen the videos on both series. I was hoping for someone with deeper knowledge of the subject than I to put that in perspective in a comparison format...I don't understand what you are getting for the $150 difference. Despite my big mouth, I'm still a noob in knowledge and years.

I would send an email to Jon

suisins handles are larger and nicer in many ways IMO. other than that i think you should just go with which steel you prefer.

I had the Gesshin Ginga/Suisin Inox conversation w Jon some time ago. He had good things to say about each, shared opinions on ease of sharpening and edge retention. I ended up ordering the Ginga in 270 and like it a lot.

Not long afterwards a 240 Suisin came up on B/S/T priced to sell. I bought.

I like them both. A professional or more experienced user may be able to differentiate between them. I can't (other than the length) - either on the board or stone.

I don't think there is a bad decision to be made between them.

+1 on calling Jon, suggest if you like Ginga, ask about handle options. They do come with a butt ugly chunk of wood on them.

Regards,

Dave
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    They do come with a butt ugly chunk of wood on them.

Dave
    My white2 Ginga gyuto came with very good fit/finish and handle, easily as good as my Suisin.

Sponsors
    if you do decide you want to talk to be about this while i'm in japan, shoot me an e-mail and i'll see if we can find some time to talk on the phone

+ Reply to Thread