Ginga vs Suisin?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
I haven't had and first hand experience with the Gesshin Ginga Stainless wa-Gyuto, but from my understanding it's quite similar to the Suisin Inox Honyak wa-Gyuto in profile, thinness, weight, etc. I'm not sure if they both use comparable steels, I think the Suisin 19c27, no idea on the Ginga.

However, the Ginga is considerably less expensive: Suisin $406 vs Ginga $250 for the 240mm versions.

How do you guys think these two stack up? e.g. the Ginga the better value but the Suisin the better product?

Haven't owned the Ginga yet. I am ordering one soon though.
I was fortunate enough to get to meet Ashi san and I've wanted a knife from him since.
I like that they do everything in house, handle, bolster etc. I own the Suisin and It's a hell of a knife, been a great workhorse for me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Ginga would more closely compare to the Konosuke HD rather than the Suisin IH. I would think its got better f&f than the konosuke, at least compared to the last HD I owned vs the Gingas I've seen in person.

TamanegiKin, I am not familiar with the Konosuke HD...why would the Ginga be more comparable to that than the Suisin? Functional? Materials? F+F?

Thanks!

This is for real a question for Jon Broida. He would no doubt be all over this if not for the fact that he's on Work-cation.

Japanese Knife Imports' Youtube channel has video rundowns on both lines of knives, two in the case of Ginga, perhaps watching those could elucidate the differences.

Eamon, thanks...I've seen the videos on both series. I was hoping for someone with deeper knowledge of the subject than I to put that in perspective in a comparison format...I don't understand what you are getting for the $150 difference. Despite my big mouth, I'm still a noob in knowledge and years.

suisins handles are larger and nicer in many ways IMO. other than that i think you should just go with which steel you prefer.

I had the Gesshin Ginga/Suisin Inox conversation w Jon some time ago. He had good things to say about each, shared opinions on ease of sharpening and edge retention. I ended up ordering the Ginga in 270 and like it a lot.

Not long afterwards a 240 Suisin came up on B/S/T priced to sell. I bought.

I like them both. A professional or more experienced user may be able to differentiate between them. I can't (other than the length) - either on the board or stone.

I don't think there is a bad decision to be made between them.

+1 on calling Jon, suggest if you like Ginga, ask about handle options. They do come with a butt ugly chunk of wood on them.

Regards,

Dave

if you do decide you want to talk to be about this while i'm in japan, shoot me an e-mail and i'll see if we can find some time to talk on the phone

if you do decide you want to talk to be about this while i'm in japan, shoot me an e-mail and i'll see if we can find some time to talk on the phone

I wont bug you while you are over there...maybe when you get back...thanks!

Here's my $0.02 worth... both are great knives.

Jon has the Ginga line made for his shop, to his specs.

Jon has also been a big fan of Suisin, using them himself when he worked the line. He is personally familiar witht he makers and has a lot of respect for them. Suisin does use a stainless, for both single and double bevel knives, and in that respect they are a bit different than other "traditional" makers. They recomend using a micro bevel with their steel and the way they produce it. SS in single bevel knives is very untraditional.

Suisin also recently had a fairly big price increase, as have many other makers. Jon is very particular about the makers he sells, so if he sells it, it's going to be good. Saying that, there are other sellers as well that deal wth Suisin, so I'm not just blatantly plugging Jon.

Apart from the steel in the Suisin, both knives are going to be very similar. Probably only an expereinced and very particular knife geek is going to be able to discern and develop a preference for one steel over the other.

Just to clarify, Suisin produces plenty of single bevel carbon...

I really like both lines of knives. Between the stainless, I prefer Ashi for overall sharpness and toughness but if you're gentle, the Suisin seems to hold an edge longer, esp. once I took Jon's advice and put a microbevel on it. The fit and finish is similar and I will second the nice, large handles on the Suisin. In terms of value, I would personally go with the Ashi, esp since the price hike.

Did anyone end up getting Jons thoughts on this?
tk59 comments above basically echoes what jon told me when i spoke with him about it. i also wanted to mention that suisin inox has that gap or space between the handle and the spine. it doesnt bother most people but it bothered me alittle. my finger would get stuck in it and scratched from time to time.

pretty much everything that needed to be said has been said through the course of this thread, but if you still want my input on it, you're welcome to PM or e-mail me

tk59 comments above basically echoes what jon told me when i spoke with him about it. i also wanted to mention that suisin inox has that gap or space between the handle and the spine. it doesnt bother most people but it bothered me alittle. my finger would get stuck in it and scratched from time to time.

Ah, yes, the machi.

ok. its called a machi? i wasnt 100% sure.

From Gator's website, www.zknives.com:

jbladeant.jpg

Back