Quantcast
Travel Knives
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Knives

Travel Knives

Since I had my camera out shooting another knife, I thought I would post my travel knife set. When I go on longer vacations or to someone's house where I know the knives to be really deficient, I usually bring a couple or all of these knives. I had sheaths made for them all because it makes it easier to pack. I just throw all three in a padded knife case along with a friendly note to TSA if flying. Fowler made the sheath for his and Eamon made the other two wooden ones.

The top knife is a mini-gyuto by Stephan Fowler (175mm in W-2). The second is a 165mm Devin Thomas damascus petty in the twist pattern (I think it is AEB-L and 304). And the third is a sheep's foot parer by Pierre Rodrigue (110mm in CPM154).

I am sure there are others here who travel with knives.

k.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	travel_knives.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	10303  
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

nice... really like that devin!

These are great knives! The DT is the kind of knife that could be used in a pinch for just about anything.

I would be scared to travel with knives that nice for fear of sticky fingers and/or overzealous TSA agent.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    These are great knives! The DT is the kind of knife that could be used in a pinch for just about anything.
    You're correct on that. If I take one, I usually take the Devin Thomas because it is a very nice utility blade.

And as for the fear of losing a nice knife, I used to be concerned about that, but don't think about it much anymore. Not sure why exactly, maybe it was because I hated traveling with Forschners But again, I do leave a note for TSA, and I am also registered in the TSA trusted traveler program, so I hope they 'trust' me

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I usually only bring two knives when I travel (near or far): a Henckels Cermax chef's knife and a Shun 4" parer. I like them both enough to use, but would survive their loss or damage.

Hmmm.....this topic has been rattling around in my head for a few weeks now...I frequently travel with firearms, so adding a pointy stick isn't much trouble.

I like the idea of a well-crafted petty as the one thing to take (if you take only one).
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

lol at the "pointy stick" comment.
    BBQ Heretic

Plus if you lose a knife to the TSA, then you get to replace it!

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    drinky travels in style!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon