Travel Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I had my camera out shooting another knife, I thought I would post my travel knife set. When I go on longer vacations or to someone's house where I know the knives to be really deficient, I usually bring a couple or all of these knives. I had sheaths made for them all because it makes it easier to pack. I just throw all three in a padded knife case along with a friendly note to TSA if flying. Fowler made the sheath for his and Eamon made the other two wooden ones.

The top knife is a mini-gyuto by Stephan Fowler (175mm in W-2). The second is a 165mm Devin Thomas damascus petty in the twist pattern (I think it is AEB-L and 304). And the third is a sheep's foot parer by Pierre Rodrigue (110mm in CPM154).

I am sure there are others here who travel with knives.

k.

travel_knives.jpg

These are great knives! The DT is the kind of knife that could be used in a pinch for just about anything.

I would be scared to travel with knives that nice for fear of sticky fingers and/or overzealous TSA agent.

These are great knives! The DT is the kind of knife that could be used in a pinch for just about anything.

You're correct on that. If I take one, I usually take the Devin Thomas because it is a very nice utility blade.

And as for the fear of losing a nice knife, I used to be concerned about that, but don't think about it much anymore. Not sure why exactly, maybe it was because I hated traveling with Forschners ;) But again, I do leave a note for TSA, and I am also registered in the TSA trusted traveler program, so I hope they 'trust' me :)

k.

I usually only bring two knives when I travel (near or far): a Henckels Cermax chef's knife and a Shun 4" parer. I like them both enough to use, but would survive their loss or damage.

Hmmm.....this topic has been rattling around in my head for a few weeks now...I frequently travel with firearms, so adding a pointy stick isn't much trouble.

I like the idea of a well-crafted petty as the one thing to take (if you take only one).

lol at the "pointy stick" comment.

Plus if you lose a knife to the TSA, then you get to replace it!

I just want to say that when traveling to Morocco, only my Devin Thomas petty made the trip this time. It mostly has been cutting Spanish cured meat.

k.

i normally take hattori hf 210, if it is just business. Or the Hiromoto 240, or DT ITK 270 if i have real plans to be in a kitchen. And then only if i am checking a bag, but it sometimes helps make the decision. when i was going back and forth to KL, i just left my hattori with the hotel chef....

Back