Passarounds/Shipping....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
I recently started a personal passaround program with my less dear knives so I can share these experiences with my friends who enjoy cooking, but really only know about stamped (a la Victorinox) and German blades.

I was astonished at the shipping charges on the first round that I sent out. More than what I paid for the d@mn knives!

What services/strategies do you all use to manage costs?

I've only shipped USPS priority, and I think the most I paid for tracking and insured was $16. I'm sure others have more experience shipping through other carriers.

Are you talking about shipping only in the US?

Yes. :(

I've only shipped USPS priority, and I think the most I paid for tracking and insured was $16. I'm sure others have more experience shipping through other carriers.

I looked at the priority boxes, but I didn't find one that seemed to have sensible dimensions. Which box/es did you use? for what length of knife/knives?

I regularly use a local shipping center, Hometown Postal Connection. They can ship via any method, save the addresses of people I've shipped to, and ordered custom boxes to keep my shipping cost down. I also like talking to them.

It pays to buy local!

I regularly use a local shipping center, Hometown Postal Connection. They can ship via any method, save the addresses of people I've shipped to, and ordered custom boxes to keep my shipping cost down. I also like talking to them.

It pays to buy local!

Interesting idea...we have a local shop like this, but that's actually where I went and they were a LOT more expensive than the base USPS/FedEx/UPS rates. I didn't ask them for help with the packaging though...maybe that would make a difference...I'm a little nervous about walking in with a knife in plain view though :)

SNAP! that's exactly the thing. now....where to find some in stock so I can steal a stack....

Go to the USPS website (www.usps.com) and create an account. It doesn't cost a thing. You now can order Priority Mail shipping materials that will be delivered to your door, without charge, including the small mailing tubes.

USPS also has an application to print a shipping label (you pay with a credit card or PayPal) that will save you a trivial amount, but will let you get the package ready so all you have to do is drop it off at the post office - no waiting in line, at least at the branch I use. You can use plain paper in your printer, or if you want to go "upscale", get some Avery 5165 letter size labels and print right on those.

Rick

Son/Rick...thanks! That's exactly what I needed for step 2.

You are scholars, gentlemen, raconteurs, and auto-didacts.

Back