Quantcast
Passarounds/Shipping....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passarounds/Shipping....

Passarounds/Shipping....

I recently started a personal passaround program with my less dear knives so I can share these experiences with my friends who enjoy cooking, but really only know about stamped (a la Victorinox) and German blades.

I was astonished at the shipping charges on the first round that I sent out. More than what I paid for the d@mn knives!

What services/strategies do you all use to manage costs?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Are you talking about shipping only in the US?

I've only shipped USPS priority, and I think the most I paid for tracking and insured was $16. I'm sure others have more experience shipping through other carriers.
    Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Sharp View Post
    Are you talking about shipping only in the US?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    I've only shipped USPS priority, and I think the most I paid for tracking and insured was $16. I'm sure others have more experience shipping through other carriers.
    I looked at the priority boxes, but I didn't find one that seemed to have sensible dimensions. Which box/es did you use? for what length of knife/knives?

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    small tube... 5x5x25
    SNAP! that's exactly the thing. now....where to find some in stock so I can steal a stack....

Arigatougozaimashita Jon-san!

I regularly use a local shipping center, Hometown Postal Connection. They can ship via any method, save the addresses of people I've shipped to, and ordered custom boxes to keep my shipping cost down. I also like talking to them.

It pays to buy local!

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    I regularly use a local shipping center, Hometown Postal Connection. They can ship via any method, save the addresses of people I've shipped to, and ordered custom boxes to keep my shipping cost down. I also like talking to them.

It pays to buy local!
    Interesting idea...we have a local shop like this, but that's actually where I went and they were a LOT more expensive than the base USPS/FedEx/UPS rates. I didn't ask them for help with the packaging though...maybe that would make a difference...I'm a little nervous about walking in with a knife in plain view though

I usually build my own boxes, unless I am doing someone else's pass around, then I go with a 3 x 18 tube from staples or you could just have the square or triangle tubes sent free to your address from the post office website:https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...bcatMSS_B_Free
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    SNAP! that's exactly the thing. now....where to find some in stock so I can steal a stack....
    Go to the USPS website (www.usps.com) and create an account. It doesn't cost a thing. You now can order Priority Mail shipping materials that will be delivered to your door, without charge, including the small mailing tubes.

USPS also has an application to print a shipping label (you pay with a credit card or PayPal) that will save you a trivial amount, but will let you get the package ready so all you have to do is drop it off at the post office - no waiting in line, at least at the branch I use. You can use plain paper in your printer, or if you want to go "upscale", get some Avery 5165 letter size labels and print right on those.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread