Look what the postman brought today

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
This just showed up in the mail today.

mi001.jpg

The way this was packaged there is no way possible it could get damaged by rough treatment by postal workers.

mi002.jpg

Took off the wrapping.

mi004.jpg

Absolutely perfect handle.

mi005.jpg

And a flawless blade.

mi006.jpg

I wonder if it can cut?
I will be trying it out over the weekend, then it goes in the mail to my Son In Law as a late birthday present.
I wish I could have kept this one but I already opened my big mouth and mentioned that it would be ready real soon.

Thank You Mario for making such a beautiful knife!

You could always give him another knife and tell him it was that!

Wow, it's glorious!
It would be tough to turn that guy loose.
At least you get to play first though.

I am happy it meets your expectations. Doing a handle for "The Burl Guy" was a bit intimidating.

Very nice! Looks great, Mario! Congratulations, Mark! Oops, you're giving it to your son-in-law. Sorry. :)

Well, at least you'll get to visit the knife when you go to your daughter's house!

Nice work Mario, and congrats Mark.

Well, the wife and daughter have ganged up on me.
I tried to explain that trying out the knife would be like test driving a car before giving it as a gift.
Their view was that it is like buying someone clothing as a gift but wearing it for a while first.
So......I am giving in and sending the knife without cutting anything first.

Well, the wife and daughter have ganged up on me.
I tried to explain that trying out the knife would be like test driving a car before giving it as a gift.
Their view was that it is like buying someone clothing as a gift but wearing it for a while first.
So......I am giving in and sending the knife without cutting anything first.

Just take it to the shed with a few pounds of onions and tomatoes. They never have to know...

I recently bought a knife from Mario and have to say,his has by far the best packaging job of anything I've ever received through the mail. Seems like a stupid thing, but to me it's a very important thing. If your gonna work hard to put out a top notch product put the extra 5 minutes in on packaging it so that it gets to my door in the same shape that it left yours. Great knife mark your son in law is sure to love it.

That knife would not leave my house without a test drive. No Way!

ITS STAINLESS STEEL!!!! no patina = no evidence of a test drive. Plus, what son would begrudge his old-man-in-law a test drive? He already got your daughter AND you're sending him a knife...

Is that bog oak on the handle?

ITS STAINLESS STEEL!!!! no patina = no evidence of a test drive. Plus, what son would begrudge his old-man-in-law a test drive? He already got your daughter AND you're sending him a knife... Is that bog oak on the handle?

I already agreed not to use it so I am stuck.
The handle is some of the stabilized Bog Oak and Amboyna Burl.

My son inlaw finally picked up the knife from the post office.
His first comment was that if he had known it was going to be a knife that looked like this, he would have taken a day off work to pick it up instead of waiting till Saturday.
Then he started cutting up vegetables.
He said he had no idea a knife could cut like this one does.
Then he excused himself and went back to preparing dinner for everyone.

My daughter complained that he was cutting up everything in the house just to see how thin he could cut everything.
Said she was tired of getting called into the kitchen to look at paper thin tomato slices and such.

In a nutshell.
He loves it!

That's a beaut Mark - remember - what goes around comes around.

That's a beaut Mark - remember - what goes around comes around.
I am trying to work out a trade.
Another knife in exchange for one of the Grandkids.
I think he is on the fence right now.
It could go either way.

All I have to say is that I would be proud to be your son-in-law Mark! He is a lucky guy.

Be careful, what you wish for - he may hand over a newborn and your life of sleep will be over once again.

Back