Quantcast
Carter Suji + Keller Handle Combo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carter Suji + Keller Handle Combo

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan

Carter Suji + Keller Handle Combo

Hi again folks,

Up on the block today is my brand-spanking-new Murray Carter 8.5 Sun Kurouchi Sujihiki along with the Stefan Keller handle I'd bought for it. Right click all pictures for huge versions.

First the knife:

I put this guy on layaway about four months ago and just finished paying it off. It arrived earlier today, is completely unused, and still has the oil on it from shipping as well as Murray's famous sharpening job. It measures 258mm from heel to tip, 35mm from spine to heel, and is quite nimble and light. The extreme tip appears to have been shipped a tiny bit blunted, but would easily sharpen out the first time on the stones and doesn't impact performance in any way. I paid $485 + $15 shipping.

Next is the handle I originally bought with this knife in mind: a Stefan Keller made from spalted kikui nut, redwood burl, with a nickle silver spacer.

It's a wee bit longer and thicker than the original handle, but will still definitely make a good fit and--as you can see--it looks pretty awesome:

Unfortunately knives are just not a thing for me right now, and even if I had room for just one perfect knife, this guy isn't it. I'd like to sell them together as a combo since frankly I feel they belong together. Asking $600 PayPal shipped to your CONUS address ($50 off the combined price of both), or best offer. If there's interest in either the knife or handle individually, I'll separate them in a couple of days.

Thanks for looking!

Some interest in the handle, but nothing for the knife or the combo yet.

I'll drop it down to $575 shipped--that's like buying a new Carter and getting a Stefan handle half priced--and then split them up tomorrow.

What is this?! Am I on crazy pills?! Did everyone already land all the Stefan handles they wanted and/or has the market dried up for Carters?

Alright.

Brand new Carter sujihiki, only taken out of the box long enough to photograph: $450

Sweet Stefan Keller handle: $135

Buy them both together, $550

Open to offers. Let's get crackin' people, Vertigo's got a busted laptop!

I would jump on it, but Murray sent me essentially the same knife, without the Black apparently it is a kurouchi with a polished finish. God, I still want it though. this combo would be sweet.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    What is this?! Am I on crazy pills?! Did everyone already land all the Stefan handles they wanted and/or has the market dried up for Carters?
    I'm with you. They still cut the same as they would a few months ago, but...

This is proof of a cyclical market. Carters are unbelievably good, but apparently that's not enough today. Maybe tomorrow.

Great combo, though....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Yeah, some months B/S/T is exploding with Carters and other months it's a ghost town. I should start a few "ZOMG Carters are teh Awesome" threads in General and try to stir up some interest...

I do like that handle... Hmmmmm...

It is a fancy handle innit?

Pulling the sale, having the handle professionally installed, and will try again when Carters are getting more love. Damn your fickle tastes, KKF. DAMN THEM.

*kicks a rock*

Dammit! I was a beer away from buying that handle Jack!