Do You Carry a Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldogbacchus

Reaction score
Do you carry a knife? If so, which one?

Since becoming accustomed to the super kitchen knives that ya'll have hooked me on, I'm wondering which blades you carry.

I have a rotation of them...here's what I've been carrying the past couple of weeks:
Columbia-River-Knife-Tool-K400BXP-rw-68126-80467.jpg

Titanium scales, ball-bearing pivot, good "gentleman's folder"

I've been thinking about a HAK...but those are pure function...

Almost always. I'm waiting on a Rick Lowe necker, and I've hit up Butch for one too.
At work it's a necessity!

I recently picked up a Benchmade 585 'mini-barrage'. Spring assisted opening, 154CM steel. Came with a nice edge, can't speak on the retention yet, as I've yet to really put it through its paces. I do need to replace the scales though, the stock scales just don't feel right, the general geometry of the handle is comfy, but the scales feel kinda slippy and 'cold'. Maybe I'm just too used to the wood on my kitchen knife handles...

I'm a little old school on this

You're a little old school on everything! (I mean that in the nicest way possible)

I'm carrying a tiny $10 wal-mart knife. It cuts open boxes, but that's it. I would be too nervous that I would lose a nice pocket knife.

001-94.jpg

These two work for a living,both are cm154.

Spyderco Endura. Every day. Sometimes a Swiss Army knife, too.

I don't carry anything in my pockets. I work from home so I have a drawer full of sharp things to use. These are the ones I use most.

k.

otherknives.jpg

bessy.jpg

Used to always carry a spyderco. Last five years it's been a SOG trident tiger stripe.

I never ever leave home without a knife in my pocket. My #1 choice since 1999 has been my Al Mar SERE 2k which is an impractical choice, it's too big and heavy really, but it's a tank and that counts for something.

Like Son I'm an old schooler and love vintage slip joints the most but I hardly ever carry them even though I have MANY to choose from.

I have a bunch I rotate. Old Benchmade Ascent in 440C, Benchmade Mini Rukus, MicroTech Socom Elite 154-CM, Kershaw Volt 2, Leek, Vapor 2, CRKT M16, Gerber Applegate Fairbain small and large assisted openers, or one of the other 10 pocket knives I have kicking around. I have a Spyderco Native in S30V, but I haven't been able to find it in 2 years :( I carry the cheaper ones for work ( I work 3rd shift security) that I won't care if I snap it or lose it. I put most of my money into kitchen stuff :)

Been carrying a pocket knife every day since I was 6 yrs. old (goes in the suitcase obviously, when traveling by air). Rotate Spyderco Endura 4, Cold Steel Land & Sea Rescue, and Swiss Army Parachutist (I prefer the seat belt cutter to the saw blade of the Trekker). Used to carry expensive knives like Chris Reeve Sebenza, but in recent years, with the constantly increasing feeling in the country that a knife is automatically a weapon, rather than a tool, I fear that some overzealous cop will confiscate it for no reason. The three knives I named will do practically any chore required, and I'd feel a little better about losing a $50-75 knife than a $400 Sebenza...but I'd still be mighty pissed off. ;-)

Benchmade 551 and a Victorinox Sportsman when I was in the kitchen. My wife carries the Sportsman now.
Leatherman Skeletool CX when I am working
Victorinox Recruit with custom wood scales(I.E. I made them from my daughter's first rocking chair and it won't hold a toothpick & Tweezers) when I am out and about with the family.

Depends where I am. In NYC where just about anything is illegal (including 16 oz. sugared drinks!) I carry a very inconspicuous low riding Spyderco Chapparal. In the country I go with something a little bit bigger, the Spyderco Sage 2.

Trying the new image deal, the second image should not be there, but it is!

IMG_2733.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2731.jpg
    IMG_2731.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 112
Swiss Army pen/pocket knife, or whatever they're called. Blade, scissors and screwdriver - tweezers, toothpick and nail file for those horrible grooming emergencies that the Army in Switzerland were no doubt eminently prepared for.

(Incidentally, does neutral Switzerland actually have a real 'Army'? Maybe not! But if they do, perhaps the lack of action is behind their obsession with grooming gadgets. Lot of time on their hands, perhaps.)

Small Swiss Army knife - My dad always had one, and so do I. I've probably lost and replaced a half dozen by forgetting to check them in baggage before trying to board planes. Shoot, not again! Regulations, regulations....

Some of you guys must have expansive pockets in order to carry what you carry around. My knife is tiny.

Swiss Army pen/pocket knife

Have one of these on my key chain as well. Pink with only one scale. Got it for a quarter at a yard sale. What the hell....it cuts and the toothpick works.

Swiss Army pen/pocket knife - Have one of these on my key chain as well. Pink with only one scale. Got it for a quarter at a yard sale. What the hell....it cuts and the toothpick works.

A quarter? Man, what a deal! I think they'd usually cost about $30. I know, as I buy them often (read above).

Not sure about carrying a pink one with me - perhaps the low price then. And a used toothpick? Don't know if I could do it. Can't argue with the price, though.

IMG_0735.jpg
Bad pic... but the knife I carry depends on the situation. from the Kershaw quick open and Leatherman Juse S2 to my newish Bud Nealy S30V custom Aikuchi, O'hare, to a couple of Kiku's - a camping deba (its fun!!-and a lefty) and one of his chisel II's. I used to carry more traditional knives until this bloody forum opened up my mind and pocket book to sharp things...

I usually carry a folder with a replaceable razor blade just cause it's cheap and if I get caught with it I ain't gonna cry.....now ALL of th ethers I'd cry pretty hard.....if it ain't the razor I have a bunch of Carter Damascus neck knives, a watanabe Damascus.....I got a tai goo Damascus belt knife....a nick wheeler Damascus stag belt knife.....John fitch hunter.....a kershaw zt 0200...I'm thinking about getting rid of it though cause it's huge...I feel like a cop would confiscate a large folder before a smaller fixed blade.....I got a few more than I'm probably forgetting at the moment....Ryan

P.s....I used to have an almar sere...awesome knife till some sharpening bum never returned it!!!!!!

I don't really have any pictures handy of my EDC type knives, but the list would go:

SAK Treker, in my bunker gear, with the flathead out, for quick use/prying with my fire gloves on. It's a tough, tough knife, and means more than any other knife to me, because my wife gave it to me on our Wedding Day.

Mike Davis "Everything Knife", or "Arrowhead Necker", around home. I use the Everything Knife for yard work and heavy duty stuff (just laid a couple thousand sq ft of sod with it. The Arrowhead is my around the house knife and is used to open and prepare every package I get in and send out. Opens letters, etc too.

Gerber Paraframe is the folder I bring with me when out in public. It's not threatening, and does the job beautifully. However, once my Lowe, and eventually Harner neckers come in, I plan on letting the Paraframe have a semi-retired life. 8 years and counting, and it's still going strong. :)

I have a little Opinel that I bring along when I'm feeling whimsical, and SAK keychain knife that is my wife's knife of choice when we're out in public.

Back