What would you recommend to friends?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew H

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial
Reaction score
I have a couple neighbors and friends who have wanted to get into Japanese knives. Some have gone ahead and bought a gyuto and a stone, but I was wondering what people here would think is a complete starter set up.
Let's say a budget of $300-$400 for everything.

What I've been thinking of is:
Gyuto - Fujiwara Carbon Gyuto 240mm, $83.00
Paring - Fujiwara Stainless Petty 120mm, $42.00
Sujihiki -Fujiwara Carbon Sujihiki 270mm, $82.00

Stainless petty because, at least for me, I use it with acidic ingredients far more than a suji or a gyuto.

Stones:
Bester 1200x Water Stone - $48.00
Suehiro Rika 5000x WaterStone w/base - $50.00

That comes out to $305, what do you guys think of the set up and what would you change? Higher quality gyuto perhaps?

When I recommend something to friends its just a petty and a gyuto :)
Sharpening I will do for them; but if they wanna sharpen and go down the road its a easy one:

240 Hiromoto AS Gyuto and 120 Hiromoto AS Petty + King Combo 1000/6000

I recommend the Hiro, best of both worlds :)

If I were recommending something to a friend, who has no/limited knife knowledge, but want a good set, I would recommend the Henckels Morimoto set on sale various places for $300. Most of my friends who wants something, want it as a set with a block.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/miyabi-morimoto-600-s/knife-block-set-p120122

Not a bad price for what you get. Actually I like the geometry and fit and finish of these knives a lot. Much better geometry and profile than the Shuns, and I really like the nenox choi grind.

For stones, get them a king 1000/6000 set for under 40. It will probably be the only stone they need for a while.

If they get addicted, then they can move up.....:eek:hmy:

Yeah the AS would be a good chance as well.

Sorta thread jacking, but I don't want to start a new thread on it. Does anyone make a budget stainless 300mm suji? I want to get one for my dad because he won't care for carbon. A 300mm Tojiro or Fujiwara is probably the ticket, but I don't think I've ever seen one longer than 270mm. I'm hoping to top it out at $150.

Sorta thread jacking, but I don't want to start a new thread on it. Does anyone make a budget stainless 300mm suji? I want to get one for my dad because he won't care for carbon. A 300mm Tojiro or Fujiwara is probably the ticket, but I don't think I've ever seen one longer than 270mm. I'm hoping to top it out at $150.

Japanese Chef Knives Carbonnext semi stainless suji 300mm for $154. Very positive reviews. Steel is supposedly same as the Ichimonji TKC. Good geometry.

Henckels Morimoto might be a good idea, however the gyuto is rather short :)
Im a homechef and I prefer 240 :) Once you get to know a 240 you can never go back to a smaller one :)

Fujiwara and Tojiro are great knives for newbies and experienced alike, and the JCK CarboNext has been inching its way to the top of my recommendation list depending on budget and other needs of the buyer (Miyabi 600D and Shun classic are also good options and they can test at a SLT retail store).

It all depends on the individual person and what they are looking for--do they want to learn new techniques or just continue rocking...do they want to use a steel for touch-ups...do they have or plan to get a cutting board made of material to protect the edges...will they have strict maintenance habits...do they want to learn how to sharpen, etc

@Kyle - the only other I can think of for $200 or less:
-JCK CarboNext
-Suisin inox (moly)
-Hiromoto AS

Henckels Morimoto might be a good idea, however the gyuto is rather short :)
Im a homechef and I prefer 240 :) Once you get to know a 240 you can never go back to a smaller one :)
x2. My first j-knife was a Hiro AS 210 gyuto, and it seems so small I rarely use it. I though it would be the 'right' size after using an 8" Wusthof for many years, but it just seemed like a petty. And after getting some board time in with a 240, that is the minimum gyuto size for me now (no 270s yet, but will pick up one or two at some point).

Japanese Chef Knives Carbonnext semi stainless suji 300mm for $154. Very positive reviews. Steel is supposedly same as the Ichimonji TKC. Good geometry.

That's the one I've been thinking about getting. The Carbonext is considered more semi-stain resistant, rather than stainless, right? My dad loves my Japanese knives, but he can't or won't remember to wipe them all the time. I can convince him to hand wash and leave it out of the dishwasher, but before that he'll use the knife and leave it sitting on a cutting board for an hour or more before he gets around to cleaning up everything. I need something that he can treat like one of his Messermeister or Forschner knives. I'll be keeping them sharp and he has a couple Sani-tuff boards so I'm not worried about maintenance so much.

Hiro G3
I have the gyuto - bought as a budget stainless knife for the Baja beach house - it's actually a freakin' amazing knife for the dollars
I never had a Tojiro back in the day, but the G3 IHMO has to be the current value leader

i agree with a simple combo stone - the easier you make it for someone to start to want to sharpen their knives, the easier they'll get sucked into this hobby just like us (which I think is a good thing, right?). as far as knife recommendations, i also wouldn't go for a three-knife set - two should be fine. as far as which knives - even though the AS is clad, I typically don't make that recommendation to folk - i stick with togiharu or fujiwara.

I would also push either the Tojiro or Hiro AS 240. When I bought my first J knive I got a 210 gyuto, then I tried a 240, after a little time with the 240 the 210 just collects dust.

Back