Saturday is sourdough bread day.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike L.

Reaction score
sourdough003-1.jpg

This stuff is better than.....well, almost.

Tastes as good as it looks, no....better. I can only make sourdough on Saturdays because of time constraints.
If I bake bread during the week, it's regular yeast bread or egg bread (sort of a challah). My daughter in law, Mrs. Knyfenerd, has an addictive attraction to the egg bread.
I wonder if I should post recipes... Most of you pro chefs probably don't have time to do any home baking.

I'd love to see the recipe, is it no-knead bread?, and specially the vessel you used.

One of my late grandfather's "things" was baking white/sourdough bread at home, and he always had several loaves ready when any of us went to visit. The last time I saw him before he passed away, he sent me home (Florida back to the Bay Area) with a miniature loaf, which I can still taste in my mind. I called my grandmother some time after he was gone and asked her for his "famous" recipe, assuming (naturally) that it would be written down. It wasn't! All she could say was that he used "simple" ingredients and did it all from memory. Devastating! Since then, I've been "collecting" bread recipes in the hopes that, with practice and experimentation, I will someday be able to recreate the taste I remember. So please, post the recipe and I'll add it to my files!

Going from memory..just like a grandpa.

3 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 cup rye flour
3/4 cup sourdough starter
2 tsp salt (never use iodized salt!)
approx. 1/2 cup warm water

Mix ingredients together until a semi-sticky dough forms
Knead dough on a lightly floured surface (butcher block if you have it) for 3-5 minutes.
Additional kneading is not needed, I don't care what the experts say.

Form a ball, and after cleaning and lightly oiling the mixing bowl, place the dough in the bowl.
Cover bowl w/ plastic wrap and allow to rise 10 hours

After 1st rise, punch down the dough, removing gas bubbles.
Knead lightly for a few seconds, and form a loaf shape.
I use a lightly greased 9 inch steel loaf pan

Allow loaf to rise, covered, for 3 hours.

Use a very sharp knife (Japanese or Western) to score the centerline of the top of the loaf about 1/2" deep.
Bake at 400 Farenheit for 30 minutes. A shallow pan of water in the bottom of the oven will give you
a nice steamy oven which helps crust development.

The internal temp of the bread should be 190 degrees F.

Turn out the loaf, and allow to cool 10 minutes before slicing.

Still warm, with some butter....omg.....Your taste buds will do the happy dance.

Sourdough starters are a whole subject unto themselves.... be a man and make your own. :)

Back