Quantcast
My stint as an intern - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My stint as an intern

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I miss working in a place like that. Also I wouldn't be to hard with yourself, you worked 1 day a week for a shift. Your skills got better with each time. Honestly that is all you can ask for someone new in the enviorment. Even better you got their respect, which like Son said is very hard to do.
    Chewie's the man.

Sounds like an awesome experience. Thanks for sharing, and glad you had a positive experience.
    Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    I'm a psychologist. Yeah, just wanted to be a better cook.
    Awesome.

Was your wife cool with the idea?

I am glad someone is honest and understands what the people in this profession do. I applaud you for going at it and taking on the challenge. I will say the kitchen and staff I work with is the same. Chef de Cuisine was showing me on my first week how he wanted his orange peel confit prepped and asked to use my knife it is refreshing knowing that people respect you and your belongings. I would love to show you around where I am at if you ever take Knerd's offer. You can see what a pastry chef does every morning. And knerd I'll come work with you a couple of days for the fun of it when I am out of school.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Awesome.

Was your wife cool with the idea?
    I tell people I made two good decisions in my life: Marrying my wife and choosing my business partner. I'm pretty quiet about things I do and it was my wife who told family and friends about interning. My business partner on the other hand said enough with the restaurant, we need you back in the office.

Quote Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
    I would love to show you around where I am at if you ever take Knerd's offer. You can see what a pastry chef does every morning. And knerd I'll come work with you a couple of days for the fun of it when I am out of school.
    If I'm ever in your neck of the woods I'll take you and knerd up on your offers. Next year come to the ECG at my place with Knerd.

Interestingly, the BOH invested in and maintained good knives, but they weren't knife knuts like youse guys. Cichon and the three sous primarily used suji's to break down everything from whole fish and pigs, sides of beef and the rest of their prep work. The one who did most of the fish didn't know from a deba. The line cooks mostly used gyutos. Sure, they used other knives -mostly Japanese- but their kits were utilitarian. None were collectors.

Lest you think the atmosphere was always serious, it was really lighthearted. I chuckled when one of the line cooks pretended to corn hole another. When the recipient yelled, "Craig, that's not funny!" I laughed even harder.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    ... Work there was rarely fun. A pro kitchen is intense and for me there was some blood, and plenty of sweat and frustration that my hands wouldn’t do what my brain told them. My skills improved 100% but I was still slow and unskilled by comparison. I’d go back in a heartbeat.
    Not sure what you meant here - Were you saying that pro kitchen work seemed generally not fun, or generally not fun for you? I had some fun doing it, but the disappointing thing was not many others seemed to. Makes a big difference when people you work with are generally positive at work.

Mano, you have done what I want to do, and you've experienced axactly what I would have expected. I suspect that the kitchen would eventually become more fun as you gained skill, when you're more confident in your ability to perform to standard, though not less focussed. I've also learned, first in the Army and then in the remainder of my life, that who you're with has as much or more to do with enjoying your job than the job itself. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
    BBQ Heretic

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Mano, you have done what I want to do, and you've experienced axactly what I would have expected. I suspect that the kitchen would eventually become more fun as you gained skill, when you're more confident in your ability to perform to standard, though not less focussed. I've also learned, first in the Army and then in the remainder of my life, that who you're with has as much or more to do with enjoying your job than the job itself. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
    +1

Thanks for sharing. Thats such an awesome experience that people without any professional kitchen experience are rarely given.

What a cool experience! Kudos for going through with it.

+ Reply to Thread