Nenox Dessert Ironwood

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Nenox dessert ironwood gyuto? Thoughts?

I've never used/owned any Nenox. I think the general consensus around here is that they are overpriced for the quality of the steel. Apparently, there were some past issues with other handle scale material shrinking, and the desert ironwood is supposed to remedy this.
Would love to try one, but for the price I could own a US or Canadian custom from one of our outstanding KKF forum members/vendors/craftsmen.

I have one Nenox, a 23 cm sujihiki with the older quince burl scales. I like it a lot, but I think it's the length and profile rather than that it's a Nenox. Edge retention is on the same level as VG10. I haven't had any issues with the scales shrinking, but that may be because I live in a high humidity area.

I picked it up from another forum member and didn't pay anywhere near what a new one costs. I agree with the comment that it is overpriced, considering that you could get a custom from Pierre Rodrigue or Mario Ingioglia (RRLOVER) with better steel and F&F for less than what a new Nenox gyuto would cost.

Rick

The executive chef at the country club I'm currently at has a quince wood gyuto. Not sure of the quality of the steel, but the fit and finish is impeccable. It is a stunning knife, to say the least.

I don't think that there's any question if any knife in this price range coming from a well-respected retailer is going to be "good" or not, but rather how it will meet your demands compared to other option in it's price range.

Gator did the most thorough review of the line that Ive seen here:
http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/ktknv/nenox/nenoxgy270.shtml

It's important to realize that Gator is perhaps THE knife steel geek and author of a both a web and android based interactive glossary of knife steels. So, for him, the quality of the steel may weigh higher in his assessment of the knife than yours.
If this knife is going to get used at home, hung on the wall and just taken down on Sundays or special occasions, then I don't think that edge retention is going to be as much of an issue as if it's going to go to battle in a kitchen for 12hr shifts and needs to last a week before seeing the stones.

Also, when talking about a knife in this price range, a big part of what goes into purchase decision is what makes it "cool" or special to you. For some folks, it's all about performance: they want to know that it's the zenith of cutting performance and that the edge will split atoms or shave god's beard and that it has 0.5 greater HRc and .001micron smaller grain than the next "best" steel (even if they're only going to use it on news print and their own arm hair).
For other folks, they want flawless mirror polish, sexy wood, perfect F&F and for it to look like something Bill from Kill Bill would have hanging above his mantel.

There's nothing right or wrong about any of that, because it's all about what makes the individual happy. If there is something about the Nenox that just gives you that special, deep-down, knife lust and the fact that the steel it not the latest or greatest really doesn't effect it's coolness or usefulness to you, then you will certainly be happy with one.

This forum and it's members are a great resource and help in finding information and experience, but I think that it's easy to fall into the trap of "group think" and to lose the distinction between what other people think is cool and what makes you happy.

That said, I personally have a VERY long list of custom makers and other brands that I would have to work though before a Nenox was at the top of my list.

That was well said
:goodpost:

I don't think that there's any question if any knife in this price range coming from a well-respected retailer is going to be "good" or not, but rather how it will meet your demands compared to other option in it's price range.

Gator did the most thorough review of the line that Ive seen here:
http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/ktknv/nenox/nenoxgy270.shtml

It's important to realize that Gator is perhaps THE knife steel geek and author of a both a web and android based interactive glossary of knife steels. So, for him, the quality of the steel may weigh higher in his assessment of the knife than yours.
If this knife is going to get used at home, hung on the wall and just taken down on Sundays or special occasions, then I don't think that edge retention is going to be as much of an issue as if it's going to go to battle in a kitchen for 12hr shifts and needs to last a week before seeing the stones.

Also, when talking about a knife in this price range, a big part of what goes into purchase decision is what makes it "cool" or special to you. For some folks, it's all about performance: they want to know that it's the zenith of cutting performance and that the edge will split atoms or shave god's beard and that it has 0.5 greater HRc and .001micron smaller grain than the next "best" steel (even if they're only going to use it on news print and their own arm hair).
For other folks, they want flawless mirror polish, sexy wood, perfect F&F and for it to look like something Bill from Kill Bill would have hanging above his mantel.

There's nothing right or wrong about any of that, because it's all about what makes the individual happy. If there is something about the Nenox that just gives you that special, deep-down, knife lust and the fact that the steel it not the latest or greatest really doesn't effect it's coolness or usefulness to you, then you will certainly be happy with one.

This forum and it's members are a great resource and help in finding information and experience, but I think that it's easy to fall into the trap of "group think" and to lose the distinction between what other people think is cool and what makes you happy.

That said, I personally have a VERY long list of custom makers and other brands that I would have to work though before a Nenox was at the top of my list.

Back