Yet another "What knife should I buy" thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ucmd

Reaction score
So I have been making chicken gallantine for friends the last few dinner I've hosted and I realize that I need a Deboning knife....can I get some advice on a good HONESUKI. I am not fixed on size, steel, handle etc. I'd love to hear what members have and if they like it. Thanks.

Not sure it's a boning knife, but I have seen a knife that I believe Spike makes as something that would do the job...not sure what it's called, but it looks wicked! Tried to find a shot/link of it, but no luck...

I believe Spike called it the pettysuki or something like that, but the site's search feature is failing me.

I have owned both a traditional single bevel Watanabe Honesuki and a double bevel multi-purpose Zakuri boning knife (both around 150mm) and I've used probably a half dozen different sizes and shapes of knives to do the job. I was not very impressed with the grind work work on the Watanabe, but really liked the traditional, very angular shape. The Zakuri, I felt was a great bargain for the quality of construction and steel and a very robust blade, but not as surgically precise as some others.

After years of trying different things, I ended up with a custom from Stephan Fowler. It's longer and thicker than most Honesuki or even Garasuki (its around 190mm) , but the tip is very precise and the single bevel grind makes it very easy to get very close to the bone. I put a micro bevel on the edge, so it's plenty strong enough to go though ribs, breast, and even back bone but the blade has enough weight and the spine is thick enough, that it's easy to flip the blade over and use the spine to crack leg or thigh bones. The extra length was easy to get used too and the knife still feels very nimble, but the few extra mm makes it a much more useful slicer: plenty long enough for making tenders or slicing up breast and thigh fillets for stir-fry.
It's a knife that I designed to meet my own style and demands, so I'm a bit biased, but it's the best poultry processing tool I've ever used, and Stepan's pricing is so reasonable it was in the ballpark of the cost for a good Japanese Garasuki from JKI.
It's the one on the bottom:
IMG_0124.JPG

oh yeah, and it's mono-steel W2 with differential heat treat honyaki-style hamon.

I like the misono Swedish, although I don't own it, I've used it a couple of times.

I do own a Tojiro dp honesuki, which I am happy enough with not to upgrade.

I like western handles for butchery, but that's a personal thing.

Heiji Honesuki from JBroida should be good.

I've been using yoshikane hankotsu to debone chicken Pepin style for the past few chooks and I think I like it better than a yusuke honesuke that I have for this particular task. Knife is a bit more robust, and SKD steel is quite tough.

Back